Thursday, June 18, 2009

And it brings warm feelings to my heart...

Gib, as the troop's highest ranking scout at Boxwell scout camp this week, has the leadership responsibility for the 68 boys in attendance. This year Gib is taking the 3 hour a day COPE program and a 2 hour rifle shooting class.

Each year he has attended I have gone up to visit for an evening and have dinner with the scouts. Last night was my visit. I am not sure the food was worth the $7 dollar meal pass, but the company was fabulous! When I arrived at their camp, Gib was down at the waterfront, so I just began visiting with the adult leaders that were there.

I have to tell you that in the hour that I was there before Gib returned, 3 of the adult leaders took the time to chat with me and express their amazement with Gib's leadership skills. Not only his ability to manage 68 scouts, no small feat itself, but that he understands what motivates the boys and uses it to his advantage. These are comments that a father loves to hear!

Gib tells me that COPE is a lot of challenging team building type activities mixed in with rock climbing and other adventures that appeal to teenage boys. He also said his rifle shooting class was a blast and wants to take the shotgun class next year.

After dinner, he was going to go swimming, so I walked with him to the shuttle stop. As we walked, I told him about the comments I received. He said that those same leaders had told him as well, after which, he turned to me, and with the humor he shares with his mother, said, "And it brings warm feelings to my heart."

3 comments:

Will said...

. . . and a smile to my face.

Chrissie said...

That's my boy!

I wonder if uses Dumb Blonde jokes as one of his motivational tools. I sent plenty of those in the mail.
I'm starting to think I should have sent Gib more mail!

Holly said...

That is neat! What a great nephew I have...I only wish we lived closer so that my boys could know him better. Well done GIB! :)