From Text messaging affects student relationships
...Like many things in life, what's extremely convenient is often less effective than what is real. It's like fast food: we all eat it, but we know it's not good for us, it's just there and convenient.
When our children turn 14, they get a cell phone. I do this for our benefit as parents. I want my children to be able to keep us informed of where they are, who they are with, plan changes etc. Also, I want to be able to contact them should I need to. They in turn receive the benefits of using the cell phone for their social purposes.
However, I have never had SMS as a part of our cell phone plan. My original thinking at the time Indy got her phone was that the cost was too high and I did not want my children to be "available" on a 24 hour basis. We originally set a window of 6am to 10pm for cell phone use if they were at home, but have since relaxed that as they have gotten older.
Since that time, I have read several news articles that have reinforced my belief that SMS opens up a can of worms that I would clearly like to remain shut:
From For teen daters, a cellphone can be an abusive leash
...for a substantial number of teens who are dating, communications on cellphones and computers are taking a turn toward obsession and abuse.
...When you add the technological piece, there are more ways to track someone, to keep someone on an 'electronic leash,' if you will.
...parents have an obligation to limit cellphone and computer use to something reasonable. She advises blocking the computer and taking away cellphones overnight.
From Tech a tool in teen dating abuse, survey finds
...About one in three teens surveyed who have been in a relationship said their partner had text messaged them 10, 20 and up to 30 times per hour to find out where they are, what they're doing, or who they're with.
From R Teens Txt Msg Addicts?
...Indeed, 31 percent of 18- to 28-year olds -- more than any other age group -- feel the need to answer their phone, even when it interrupts what they are doing, according to the Pew report.
From Teen Driver Menace: Text-Messaging
...Nearly 50 percent of teens admit to text messaging while driving -- an alarming statistic that now rivals driving and drinking in terms of danger and prevalence.
And the newest one Trading Nude Photos Via Mobile Phone Now Part of Teen Dating, Experts Say
...said he's received such unsolicited messages, including one from a classmate while he was sitting with his girlfriend.
...This happens a lot, it crosses every racial socio-economic group. Christian kids are doing it. Jewish kids are doing it.
...Adolescents are not known for thinking things through — that's a generational constant. Now, with the technology that is out there, instead of taking a picture and passing it around the classroom, it's online, which is a whole different ball game. (Teens) don't see it that way.
Most if not all cell phone companies allow you to disable the IP address on individual cellphones so that it cannot be used for internet access or text messaging. While I can see the convenience provided by text messaging, for me the potential risks outweigh the convenience factor. And though our children do not necessarily agree with the lockdown, it has not proven to be a social inhibitor, only an "inconvenience".
Just my thoughts on Text Messaging...
4 comments:
I agree with your thinking.
Funny thought though, in the 1st paragraph, if you replace "Contact" with Counteract, like I did, it makes it funnier.
You know Will and I don't have text messeging either, and I am really ok with it. Plus it takes me 30 min to send just one text message.
I just barely put texting on Colton and Zan's phones. Zan has paid $170 so far in over charges for going over 1000 text a month.
Pretty soon we won't have that problem though.
AND...I just about died yesterday in church Colton text the Elder's quorum pres. two rows in front of us in the middle of Sac Meeting to see if he wanted to go to the temple with him on Friday. AND...he actually text him back...goodness!
Interesting...thoughts! It's a good thing Con is not 'exactly' like those statistics! ;) In fact, I text him more than I call him. However there are times and limits it's used...it is also funny that his phone will go dead and for a day or two he won't charge it! I have to because I have tried to call him or 'text' him. Goofy kid... ;)
Post a Comment