Thursday, May 22, 2008

Sand Castle Activity Night

Last night I got to have fun with the Activity Day Girls. We did an activity out of my favorite book, Team Building Activities for Every Group by Alanna Jones, called Sand Castles. Here are some of the photos that Gib or I took. Gib and Taryn came along to help. I'm so proud of my kids when they willingly pitch in and make things fun for those younger than they are. There's not too many older sisters and brothers who are willing to help fill 200 water balloons and then load them in the truck and carry them across the church lawn, followed by eight 50 lb bags of sand, buckets of water, sand toys, rakes and brooms, coolers, chairs, etc., and then hang out with girls 10-12 yrs old...of course, they knew they'd get to throw water balloons at each other, so I guess it's not that surprising after all!

Here's our activity with the temple in the background.
We had two teams square off and build the best sand castle they could in 20 minutes
Castle Cubicle
('cause it had hidden sides or something)

Castle Starbucks
(yes, I asked why - 'cause they are indestructible?)
Bombs Away!

Return Fire!


Goofy Kids
Wet Taryn

After the water ballon bombardment, we sang The Wise Man Built His House Upon the Rock and related the activity to life when we have times when someone may throw a verbal water balloon at us, maybe not even on purpose, but how does it feel, and how do we withstand it. Referenced 3 Nephi 14:24 and Matt 7:24. We talked about forgiveness and not harboring grudges so we'd have a loving heart towards others and keep our foundations strong.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tyran and Gib are awesome kids!! I love the moral of the story at the end!! It sounds like it was a fun teaching moment!

Kristin said...

What great activities you come up with!. I wish you were my leader when I was younger.

Holly said...

I'm with Kay what a great learning lesson! Of course you have great kids! I love that they are willing to help their siblings... :)

Will said...

That sounds really fun. Way to connect the lesson too.

Anonymous said...

Natalie and Aimee had a fantastic time!!! Natalie has been relating what she learned with this experience to her life. Thanks for all your hard work. Great pics!!!