Happy Bastille Day everyone!!! Last night we had a fun discussion with Tebow about Bastille Day. Gib determined that what we call it and what they call it are two different things because Tebow sure didn't know what we were talking about at first. I told him Indie suggested I wake him up jumping on his bed with a sparklers in my hands shouting Happy Bastille Day! Now maybe it was that horrifying image prompting the completely confused look in his face, but eventually we got an "Ahhh! Yah, Yah!" out of him and he confirmed that on the "shaum d'lees", there is a par-rad (parade) of the army, (he knew terrorists wasn't the right word!) and after some very fun charades we supplied the word fireworks. Tebow agrees it is a significant day but not enough to warrant jumping on his bed. I think the dudes should scype Indie and Taryn today to wish them Happy Bastille Day before they go celebrate at a baseball game - it's even a double header (hah hah), complete with fireworks, and concert!. We all spoke with Mariah on the phone yesterday. It's been raining on their fun and won't stop until Monday when a break in the rain is forecasted. I got an email from Felicie's mother who thanked us for the quilt and said they are pleased Mariah is there, and she is delicious and friendly. Yep, sweet as a bonbon that girl is!! They are at the beach now, and without internet connection. Losing the ability to touch base electronically is hard on a fourteen year old away from home so we had a couple phone calls which I enjoyed. I hope the windsurfing they thought to try today despite the rain works out. Mariah will enjoy the watersports.

Bastille Day is the French National Day which is celebrated on 14 July of each year. In France, it is formally called La Fête Nationale (The National Celebration) and commonly le quatorze juillet (the fourteenth of July).
On this day in 1789, the people of Paris stormed the Bastille as a rallying point and symbolic act of rebellion, thus beginning the French Revolution. As told in Charles Dickens’s A Tale of Two Cities, the downtrodden and hungry people of France united to overthrow the rich and oppressive king and aristocrats. Festivities and official ceremonies are held all over France. The oldest and largest regular military parade in Europe was held this morning , on the Champs-Élysées.
champs-elysees on a normal day
champs-elysees on La Fete Nationale or the "fourteenth of July" (not so much Bastille Day)

A couple of days ago, while still in Paris, Mariah topped off a week of tourism and walking her feet off at the Notre Dame Cathedral and the Louvre. I am sure the artist in her really enjoyed these experiences!

(photos from the internet)
Despite some rain, (Tebow says "eet eees Paris!") the girls are still having fun. I had a big smile on my face when I saw these pics on facebook:
At Euro Disney
Mariah and Lillion
Mariah and Peyton
(I loved Peyton's comment to her dad not to mind the boys in the background talking to the French Police!)
It's all good!





No comments:
Post a Comment