Monday, July 2, 2012

Gib Hawaii 2-0 & Up Before the Sun

There are a few boy scouting articles floating around the internet that fill in the details of a scouting trip to Hawaii. The itinerary's are similiar and I enjoyed reading about their adventures.  The first article in Scouting Magazine doesn't have photos, but is really close to Gib's troop itinerary. The other one is a little more human-interest and has photos. Again, the itinerary is close. I like that they all go to Costco!

















When I last heard from Gib I was waking up and he was going to sleep - it was 10:30 PM there.  He agreed it was an amazing fun day followed by "gtg to sleep ttyl".  Since nobody posted new photos on facebook, I believe they were exhausted! Gib probably should have done the anti-jet-lag sleep schedule change too.

Today they will fly to Kauai. They will go to the local Costco for lunch and provisions.  Top 10 Things Your Costco Won't Have  From there they will go to BSA Camp Faye - their base camp for the next few days. There will be a camp service project, dinner and a sunset drive to the Wameia Canyon lookout.





Meanwhile, back at home, Mariah and I were up before dawn again.  We shaved 30 minutes off our wake up time. It's a little more exciting now at 8:30 than it was at 4 A.M. We also realized that there was on other good place to go 24/7 even - can you guess it?  SONIC!  Bright and early we set off. Mariah's required viewing of the movie Taken prompted a discussion on our walk. I wondered what Mariah thought the girls' biggest mistake was. (If you don't remember that movie it's the one where 2 American girls get kidnapped from Paris. Liam Neeson is one of the girls' father in the movie and comes to France to rescue her).  We covered the basics -

  1.  talking to strangers
  2. giving out too much information
  3. acting like tourists in the airport
  4. taking photos all over, being giggly, loud and obvious
  5. sharing a cab with no sense of personal safety  
Good things to know regardless of where you are at, but one thing stuck out at me.  Ignoring that inner voice -  and not stopping the friend in the first place. The girl knew her friend was sharing too much but didn't want to make a scene. When you feel something is wrong, it's OK to assert yourself and put a stop to it.  

If you're Liam's daughter, this is how it plays out:



If you're anyone else's daughter, this is reality.




All that and a Sonic Blast before Mike even left for work. Mariah appreciated the Blast but not so much my "paranoia".  Her sisters would agree, but as my great-grandma and grandma used to say

AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION IS WORTH A POUND OF CURE.

1 comment:

Will said...

I'd like to think that Mike would be a mix of both dads. I'd almost say that 2 girls does not = safety, just a false sense of security.