Just had to share -
1) CPR by American Heart Association was much better than any Red Cross training I've had. One surprising fact was that CPR only saves about 3-7% - that number can go up depending on where you live, but unless it's Boston at 40%, everyone just realize that you're pretty much appealing to the Master. But with the defib machine the save rate goes up to about 50%.
2) The new guidelines are sooooo much easier - there's only 2 breaths now for every 30 compressions, all ages, but guess what?! If you don't happen to carry one of those little plastic barrier doohickeys in your back pocket, you don't even have to do the breathing part at all (except for the little preschool kids if you are employed & trained to spring into action for). And rumor has it, in the not so distant future they won't even have you do breathing at all - just the chest compressions. Being the germ-phob that I am, that was very good news indeed.
3) The defib machine is very cool and easy to use. I think even the preschoolers could handle it. You might still have to do CPR so don't get too charmed by the buttons and the little man telling you exactly what to do because when he says "Commence CPR" or something, again, you're on your own.
4) And lastly, for really memorable training, come to the South and hope your instructor was born and bred here. Because then the accent makes the class so much more entertaining (I know why I was being laughed at for picking up a twang), and the verb usage can't be beat, for example: compressions becomes pumps, and sometimes even humps (and that's a syllable and a half you know). And yeah, I kinda smiled but held in actual laughter because I am more mature than that. Not easy when the sentence goes something like this, "if you don't git yo-self up higher you'll jest be rockin' and all that humpin' on the heart will not be effective". Every time she said that there was a verse of a song that I could almost hear, but I had to a) fight the smile and b) pay attention, so I didn't quite catch it. Anyone care to guess what it was?
3 comments:
Wow I think I would be right along you holding in my laughter too :)
Oooh, someone de-fib me, I can't stand the suspense. What was sung in Chrissie's imagination?
LOL! No wonder you have a twang...you are surronded by it! I don't know what song...is from Black Eyed Peas? :P
Post a Comment