Thursday, August 28, 2008

Opposition In All Things

So remember how yesterday was a great start at preschool? Yeah, today, not so much. I didn't follow my own advice and take the preventative ibuprofen, and boy do I regret it. I should have worn my pedometer too, because I do believe it was at least a 4 miler day, if not close to a 5. I was on the run like nobody's business. I used to wear it to preschool just to see what I was clocking, and I can tell by how sore my feet are, that it was close to that. I am about to crash and burn.

I had screamers for half the day and then I departed for the land of Pre-K. But I did learn a new trick today. One of our best and most experienced teachers had some advice that I hadn't learned before and I was astounded it worked. She said one particular child was throwing a fit based on a control issue, not mommy separation anxiety. And you could tell the difference - it was anger. You can take anything this teacher says about children to the bank, so I did it and lo and behold it worked! When the child was screeching as loudly as humanly possible, I said in a "I mean it voice" NO, No Screaming! If I said NO sharply and then turned away from the temper tantrum then the crying would stop. We could even discuss the reason for the tears. Then I praised, hugged, etc. Unfortunately, it seemed to be a never-ending cycle. I don't know if we could've made more headway if I didn't have other responsibilities and could have stayed with the child the whole day or not. There was a time when we sat together during recess and we hung out on the pillows, talked some, and there was no crying for a good 25 minutes. I even gained a one yr old who decided I had just enough room on my lap for her too. That was heaven.
It didn't last long because I had to go to music classes with each of the Pre-K's. An hour on the playground pushing kids in the tire swing simulating a rocket lift-off and outer space exploration, complete with asteroid belt collisions, in 90 degrees heat sealed my fate. I have such a huge headache now. I'm gonna keep myself awake long enough to go to the chiropractor and then I'm passing out. I'm so glad I don't have preschool tomorrow.

7 comments:

Will said...

Yay, child rearing tips. I seriously can't get enough of them.

Will said...

Yes, I was being serious.

Kristin said...

HUmm we should try that out on Jason.

Sounds like a tiering day. Good luck next week.

Chrissie said...

It was against my instinct to do it, and I had to trust that she knew what she was talking about. I was shocked when it worked. I had to put on my mean mommy voice and be "The One In Control", but once the child knew I had it covered, and I wasn't begging, reasoning, or talking it to death, the screeching stopped...for a bit. With the 2's it'll go that way for a week and they will stop pitching a fit soon after that, 'cause let's face it....Nice Ms. Chrissie is more FUN!

Holly said...

Ah, I love advice from others when dealing with kids. Sometimes someone else has a 'trick up their sleeve' that we as parents don't already know. I soak that stuff up. I hope you have a good nights rest.

Kay said...

Get some rest! Keep the bottle of drugs in the car, for next time you forget! The "I mean business" face and voice works with most ages and most kids." Have a wonderful weekend!

Trish Griffee said...

I need to get one of those pedometer thingies! I love the quotes on the sides of your blog:)