Thursday, July 10, 2008

Symposium in August

My friend Joanne is presenting an awesome session at the Sunstone Symposium in SLC next month. It has been the subject of much discussion between us for over a year now, and I have helped with editing and Indy designed the power point. I will be in town as Joanne's moral support, personal assistant, driver, restroom spotter (for nervous stomach) bodyguard (her mom worries about muggers) and all-around symposium buddy from 8/6-8/9. All this in exchange for good times and free room & board at her at her brother's, except for probably Friday and Saturday night when she switches to another brother's house. I might need a place to stay (a couch will do!) or get a hotel room somewhere then. Offers are appreciated and will be gladly accepted!

I'd love to see ya'll, but the only thing is we won't be out of SLC until after 10 pm and back again the next morning before 8 am. That doesn't leave much time for anything else. There are some really interesting classes that we are planning on attending (and yes, we are staying away from the way out there woo-woo, weirdo stuff), so if anyone wants to think about joining here's the link - Sunstone Symposium

I have to head home Sunday because school starts for us on Monday. But if anyone has late church, I'd love to see family if I can get a ride and then be at the airport by 1:30 p.m. Since I don't have a car, it's a real pain, so if it doesn't work out, don't worry about it, and know that I'm near in thought and deed!

If anyone's interested, here is the write up on Joanne's presentation. I can't wait to get my DNA done! I was hoping to do it this summer, but time and $ has gotten away from me, so I don't know if I'll be able to get it done before the symposium like I had hoped.

Adventures with DNA: How a simple test led two LDS women on strange but blessed journeys of discovery.

In this session, two friends who met after having their DNA tested to determine their genetic genealogies will present how these cutting-edge discoveries have radically altered their perspectives on who they are and about the diverse "tribes" we all carry in our DNA. Even more surprising to them, however, has been the way their follow-up research has opened up new spiritual and historical understandings of LDS orgins. Were there Sephardic Jews and Melungeons among early LDS and colonial American leaders? What is the signficance of these ancestral tribes in Mormonism today?

Do you have hidden Sephardic or Meluncheon ancestry? If you're interested in learning about what could possibly be a major spirit and mind expanding adventure, come to this session!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the PR! I look forward to our trip together. Thanks for agreeing to managing the clicker. The pressure is on!!!

Holly said...

Chrissie you know the saying, "Mi casa es su casa?" Well, "Mi Mama's casa es su casa!" Now that the boys have their bunk beds and have moved down stairs...you can stay here if you'd like. :)
Our ward starts at 11am and so does Linda's. We could all go theirs and then take you to the airport. :) YAY! Can't wait to see you.

Trish Griffee said...

That actually sounds like a good seminar...I'm not so sure people would appreciate me taking my 5 year old and 3 week old though. I would love to see you while you are here..let me know if you end up going to mom's ward for church and we'll come up.

Anonymous said...

Muggers in SLC? hmmm, I'm not saying there aren't any but honestly...

The DNA thing sounds so interesting! Thats really neat.

Kristin said...

Our house is open too. Weird it will actually be our house by then. Scary!!