Saturday, July 5, 2008

4th in Missouri

Gib spent his 4th of July in St. Louis. They floated down the Meramac river. 6 miles took 4 hours. Gib said it was very slow, freezing cold water, and a little boring. They were starving because they missed lunch floating at a snail's pace down the river. They ate lunch at 4 pm. The holiday was saved by going to the City Museum. They went to every floor in the place. It sounds like it is a bunch of junk metal welded together to make a huge building. It has slides, an airplane, huge metal coil springs, and everything else is indescribable. Hopefully pictures will be sent out from the leaders that accompanied the scouts. They watched fireworks from the top floor, probably 3 stories high. They could see a panorama of fireworks from all over the city from their vantage point. Very awesome! After the fireworks, they spent some time on the ground floor of this thing in the ball pit engaging in brutal combat. Next they toured some man-made caves down below with alot of engraved art on the walls and stalagmites. Then they played at the skateboard park, but without any skateboards. Apparently the seat of your pants works fine. They did alot of running around defying gravity there. They did a bunch of other stuff at the City Museum and finally went to bed after midnight.

They got up this morning, went out to breakfast at Golden Corral and headed home. Gib was patrol leader of 4 and says they were the best. One thing that is neat on these trips is figured in the cost is a daily food allowance for lunch and dinner. The leaders stand there and hand out tens for lunches, a ten and a five for dinner, to the boys as they get out of the van to go into the restaurant. The boys must manage their money and figure 15% tips for the servers. If they have leftover money from lunch they can save it for dinner or other stuff.

I asked Gib what he thought of the Gateway Arch that they went to the first day of the trip. He said it was HIGH! And the trip down was hairy since it's 630' up in a old wood egg shaped cable elevator with 5 chairs that you sit in. Gib is not fond of heights. Six Flags was as you can imagine, awesome! The best news of all...Gib didn't barf on this trip! It's good to have him home. I think he's taller again. I can't wait to crack a joke and hear him laugh. I missed my dude!

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Can I sign up for his scout trips too? Dang they have some pretty cool trips. Plus how cool is that about the money thing. I like that idea.

Holly said...

WOW...Gib has been busy having some F-U-N! I bet you miss him...I would miss my boys. ;)