Sunday, December 18, 2011

Home Free

Olly Olly Oxen Free! Come out, come out wherever you are!

The girls are home from college; Mike drove to St. Louis and picked Taryn up at Tim's. I'm really glad to see my girls again so soon!

Meanwhile back at the ranch, we enjoyed a stopover visit from my Uncle Steve. It's been awhile since we laid eyes on each other so I was happy for the opportunity to chat.

Indie and I were invited to a painting thing at a preschool coworker's HOA. I was looking forward to doing something I've never done - paint on canvas. An instructor had the example of a barn scene we were supposed to paint. Along with it, she had other paintings for inspiration and further examples of ways to paint trees. We smocked up and tapped into our inner artists. One problem was pretty apparent: Indy and I kept choosing the same stuff, and we were both off the grid on following the example. Heh heh. We were supposed to make a simple white triangle for the barn. But we didn't. We both chose the same barn, and then we both switched it up so we'd be different. And we both ended up with fences. And I know for a fact that Indy copied my tree, cuz she told me. It was the only thing worth copying really.

My last masterpiece was most likely a fingerpainting. I don't think it's horrible, but Mariah said "Hmmm, abstract" and she had a tone. Probably because she didn't get to go and be a show off. When Mike came to pick us up, he laughed because I had taken an element from all the paintings. I never did follow the crowd. And yes, I am very aware that my pathway is all wrong. I meant to fix it, but ran out of time. My first inclination was to skip the path entirely and I wish I would have because I did it 4 times and it never got any better.

Indie's turned out cute. She was ahead of the class most of the time, painting her barn roof (correctly I might add) before we had been given instructions and she didn't have to scrape off and start over at all.
Tina's painting totally passed the Easel Evaluation. She followed directions 100%. She's like that in real life too :) I enjoy working with her alot and we like to say to each other at least once a week "We have the best jobs!"

Anyways, it's good to know where your Home Free is. Whether it's coming to Home Sweet Home, or hanging out with friends who are a blessing to you.

And now for some trivia:
Olly olly oxen free (and variants: ollie ollie umphrey, olly-olly-ee, ally ally in free[1] ) is a catchphrase used in such children's games as hide and seek to indicate that players who are hiding can come out into the open without losing the game, that the position of the sides in a game has changed (as in which side is in the field or which side is at bat or "up" in baseball or kickball), or, alternatively, that the game is entirely over. It is thought to derive from the phrase "All ye, all ye 'outs' in free;" in other words: all who are "out" may come in without penalty.[2] However, this may not be the etymology at all--"Olly olly oxen free" is suspiciously close to the German phrase "Alle, alle auch sind frei," meaning "everyone, everyone is also free."[citation needed] Various calls used for such purposes have gone by the collective name of "ollyoxalls" in some places.[3]

1 comment:

Will said...

You're not going to believe me, but I wish I had your talents for painting. I have no ability in that regard.