Friday, September 2, 2011

5 Days 6 Doctors

Well, doesn't that sound like fun?! And nobody is even sick, really. Well I guess technically Mariah was, but we didn't know that. Bad mom card pulled.

I got a triple gold star at the dentist for my Monday, Wednesday and Thursday appearances. Oh, and a chuckle for my dentist fetish joke. That's it. After all the money they got and a stellar patient performance for the crown replacement, a cavity filling and a filling adjustment. I think a free teeth whitening or something would have been nice. Maybe a tube of toothpaste, or a free toothbrush to go?! Oh wait, they already gave that to me LAST week when I got my bi-annual cleaning.

Then Mariah and I went to the Allergist that Indy and Mike go to. It was about time! She has those same allergies and the weather here has been sending people over the top with the pollen and stuff. Mariah has been miserable since February and already on steroids twice since then to deal with it. So we were hoping to start allergy shots soon, but the doc said we have to wait for all the pollen to go away with the first frost to test her. Then the shot treatment (aka immuno therapy) can begin. Meanwhile, turns out she was super WHEEZY and breathing all shallow to compensate. That was why I couldn't hear it. When she began breathing like a normal person she sounded like a creaky door. Oh, that was a lovely thing for a mom. We were at that appointment, in a place that rivaled a meat locker for temperature, sharing Mariah's tiny denim jacket, for 2 hours. She got a breathing treatment, 2 inhalers and a nasal spray to try to get a handle on it.

Today I had another doctor appointment and then met Mike and Mariah at her pediatrician. Turns out it was a half-day for school with the long weekend, so Mariah didn't even miss anything and didn't have to go back to school! Mariah had requested an adjustment in her ADD medication so we went to discuss options. Mike left when I arrived. A little warmer there, and dressed in layers anyway, we comfortably discussed the previous days events and breathing treatment. We decided to switch Mariah to a non-stimulant medication called Intuniv. It stays in the system for 24/7 (provided you take it everyday of course) but you can take it at night and the effects (ie increased ability to focus in school and do homework) might prove to be a better fit for her. If it does a better job regarding dry mouth, stomach issues and resting pulse Mariah will be thrilled.

More news of the day: Mariah opened her first savings account with $100 earned from babysitting. She likes to keep a modest amount in her wallet for spending money - enough to buy make up, an outfit or a pair of shoes for example - but wanted to sock the rest away. She and her dad found a local bank which offered a free savings account. When she reaches $250 she will receive a $25 bonus added to her savings from the bank! Pretty sweet. Mariah is also tithing and we are very proud of her choices and maturity. She and I have been babysitting her regular little gal the past couple weeks as baby reached the separation anxiety stage and mom was having a hard time with it too :) We got both talked into using our home and it worked very well last week. It was a much easier night with practically no tears at all. Mariah's arms about fell off, but she is thrilled to be babysitting and for such a cute little gal too!

That's about it. Preschool started. It was a great week!!!! The best start ever. I have to get my preschool legs and energy level back up to speed, but it's like riding a bike, or a trike as the case may be.

So it was really off-putting to me today to see in my email a position that I always said I would apply for if it passed my path. It did, so I did. It took me all day too, which also irritated me. It's at Vanderbilt University in the college admission processing center. We shall see if anything comes of it or not. I don't really want to leave my job at the preschool, but one of the benefits at Vandy is that in 5 years any dependents are eligible for a big chunk of college paid for or even free admission at Vandy if they can get in. That's quite an incentive.

I'll probably need to see another doctor to deal with the stress now.....


2 comments:

Mickie and Matt said...

Wow Mariah got a full Dr. make over! I need to head to an allergist soon I think too. WA is doing a number on me and I haven't felt quite right in months. Pretty awesome bank she set up shop in as well!

Fingers crossed for the new job... that would be awesome to work at Vandy!

Kristin said...

Good luck with the new job prospect! That would be awesome for your kids!