Tuesday, September 21, 2010

TIM-berrrr!

Tree Guy is here. Some trees are biting the dust. Then the wood chipper. It's the circle of life.

Grammy and I are sad to see the beautiful Weeping Cherry go by the deck. Mike isn't. But it is a casualty of the regrading and foundation damage repair and the new concrete patio project requires its removal. Grammy and I are already scouting a possible location for a new one. Tree Guy says the good news part of the bad news is that a Weeping Cherry has a life span of about 12-15 years and this one is around 12, so it's had a good long life for a cherry tree. Let's pause for a moment, shall we?

Moving on... also to meet the saw today is a big ol' elm tree. Gib and I decided it needed to go this summer when we watched it "stir the pot" at the trunk during a slight wind. We looked at the tree. We looked at each other. We looked the tree. And then we decided we'd better make a call. The next day we had a big 500 year flood. Now it's September and finally Tree Guy is here. I told the Tree Guy that the trunk literally does the hula. Tree Guy says elm trees are by nature very rubbery and it's not a big deal, but we don't really like that it does the hula, oh right by our house! I asked Tree Guy if it fell, which way would it go, and he said "right onto your house" which is about 20 feet away. It's trunk grows up the side of the dry creek bed and there has been some erosion around its base. I don't like the look of it. So it's outta here. Besides, what Gibbie says, goes. (This one time.... Dude, seriously, did you buy that?!)

Other than that, we have a bunch of saplings in the creek bed that Tree Guy is going to cull out, some general pruning of big trees along the wooded side of our yard, and other invasive shrubs that will be removed and treated so they don't come back.

I'm taking before and after photos and will post those for any who care to view the "sap" later tonight.

p.s. did anyone notice the hint in the title of the blog for the previous hints & guesses post?!

5 comments:

Cary said...

It was an elm branch that fell on our brand new car in 2008! Took us $ and paperwork and Steve discussing with (fighting) the city arborist to finally get them to approve it's removal! I was not sad to see it go!!!

Chrissie said...

We didn't get much done today. The Weeping Cherry is gone and a few little one man jobs Tree Guy could do on his own without a crew. Before & After pictures will be out tomorrow.

Mickie and Matt said...

Okay so i totally got the reference in the post title but I am still clueless as to what Taryn wants you to be so tight lipped about... is this something we'll all EVENTUALLY find out or is it something that we'll never know...

I'm thinking you should just blog her cell # so all her adoring cousins, aunts, uncles, neighbors and siblings (wait do they know? I bet Gib would give her up with the proper bribe... hmmm) can call and pester her about why her mother is stymied :)

Chrissie said...

I was forbidden to blog, not squawk. Pick a sibling... any sibling.

Will said...

I'll bet the wood chipper bit back!