Friday, September 10, 2010

I'm Melting!

I know - you're thinking I got wet. Hah.

It's much worse. I touched Poison Ivy. With my bare hand.

There are these two Boxwood bushes on either side of our walkway by the front door. There is a stupid 4' sucker weed growing in the middle of one of them. Every now and then it reaches the top and we whack off as much of it as we can, but we can't get rid of it completely because who knows what is Boxwood and what is weed once you get down to bare wood underneath the evergreen leaf areas. Very frustrating. For weeks now there has been about 5" of weed sticking out above the Boxwood driving me crazy everytime I drive in. As I took out some trash to the curb, I came in and determined I would just grab some scissors and take care of it until next time it surfaces.

As I go to turn away, I see a vine and I go hmmmm, wonder where that came from? We get several varieties of weed vines too, so I reach behind the Boxwood, grab Mr. Vine with my finger and thumb and snip him with the scissors too. As I drag, and drag about 5 feet of vine and think Holy Moly there was alot more than I thought under the Yew, it reaches me and I drop it!

YIKES! LEAVES OF 3! LEAVES OF 3!!!!!

Many minutes later, several washings of dish soap, lysol scrub wipes, and fingers taped with first aid tape so as not to spread ivy all over myself should I end up with it.... I can still feel it SEEPING INTO MY SKIN.....

I'm melting.... I'm melting..... No wait... I'm itching, I'm itching. It has already begun. I think I might have touched my mouth. I need to go see if my lips are swelling.

P.S. As luck would have it, 10 minutes later my mom appeared with gardening gloves on to take care of that nasty weed. I ran out to tell her to be careful of the poison ivy. She sent me for the Round Up. Then I think I touched the Round Up container where her Poison Ivy infected gloves touched it too.

Back to the kitchen to wash. I'M MELTING, I'M MELTING!!!

5 comments:

Will said...

Oooh, picking up an identified plant was definitely a rash decision.

Mickie and Matt said...

Oh NO!!! I haven't ever seen poison ivy... I have seen poison oak. SO BAD! How long does it take to go away? Dont you put that greenish/white sav stuff on it to make it go away sooner? Boy am I a rookie. Hope it goes away soon!

Lynne Cook said...

I'll get you, my weedy, and your little ivy, too!

Taryn said...

Use baking soda and water or just plain vinegar if you get a rash.
But I laugh at your suffering.
Mwa ha ha ha!!! (just like you taught me!)

Kay said...

Will, Lynn! So clever!

I've never had Poison Oak or Poison Ivy, but I'm sorry your are so miserable!