Monday, October 8, 2012

m.o.m.

MORE ON MARIAH:

How could I have forgotten?! Well probably because I'm a wee bit behind on blogging (and you may know from facebook) But.... Mariah auditioned for mid-state honors choir as an Alto and she made it!!!

Now, I've never been to a singing audition before and next time one comes around I am either getting medication or bringing earplugs. MY daughter sounded just fine, but some sure did NOT and everyone was singing at different points in Ave Maria, trying to be louder than everyone else, over-singing, doing vocal warm ups, chit-chatting, and not using their "head-voice" right, whatever that is.

Mariah said the audition took place behind a screen so she couldn't see them and they couldn't see her. She liked it that way (no surprise from Ms. Don't-Watch-Me-Perform) and thinks she did better with it. It allowed her to smoosh her face or something to make long vowels while she sang. Alot of her friends hated it and felt it made the audition worse. I'm glad she gave it her all, and that she was selected to participate.

There is a humongous rehearsal - like 6 hrs long for a handful of songs and I imagine they get to eat and then the performance at Christ Church Cathedral in Nashville on Nov 8th.

Mariah also made a very wise decision not to try out for the first play of the year - I love not having two places to be at the same time! Unless you count the laundry room and kitchen... well, I still dislike that one.

Congratulations Mariah! We are proud of you and can't wait to sneak in Christ Church Cathedral to hear the performance. You'll never know.... just ignore the man on his belly taking pictures with a zoom lens - it's not your dad, promise.


3 comments:

Ringo said...

Hey... I resemble that remark!

Kristin said...

Way to go Mariah! I am so excited for you!

Will said...

That was pretty funny. Let's hope Security misses the guy on his belly with a zoom lens taking pictures of young girls too . . .