Friday, October 26, 2012

Accepted!

It's been a pretty good week. We had a nice, relaxed Fall Break from Friday 10/19 until Tuesday 10/23.  Going back to school and work on Wednesday was a bit rough - those breaks are all fun and games until they're over!  As you can see, I took the trouble to sign Gib out to do this blog. Not as much activity on his college gmail now that the apps are done. Whooo-hoooo!  I've been sort of requested to stop living vicariously in his college email so I log out now when I'm done peeking. What a hassle. Apparently, replying to an admissions email, rsvp'ing for stuff,  and logging him into a college's social network for the incoming class (and accepting friend requests from cute girls) is FROWNED UPON in his establishment! If he thinks I've taken to solitary confinement on that, he needs to remember I've got a smartphone. With an app.  "Nobody knows..."

We do have to stay on top of emails with reminders for teacher recommendations, requests for extra supplements or short answer responses that the school wants now that the application is complete, so a responsible, prompt person ought to be checking it every day. There are a couple colleges with November 1 deadlines for the best scholarship offers. Someday Gib can pay me for all this free work. When technology completely passes me by, I plan to collect big time. For now, I should think Mr. Type B personality should be glad to have Mrs. Type A in his corner.

These days, if the house phone rings there's a good chance it is one of the colleges calling Gib. Maybe I'm a little biased but he sure sounds like someone they'd want at their university when he speaks to them! This whole process wears Gib out, lemme tell ya.

BUT.... there's a silver lining!  The admission acceptance letters have started rolling in!

The first one was from Mercer - we got an email followed by a big orange You're Accepted! packet the next day.  Also in the mailbox was an acceptance letter from University of Tennessee-Chattanooga.  That's what all the fake excitement is about... better watch out Gib - you might end up going there!  He kinda didn't apply to that one; a strategic parent did since it didn't require anything more than name and address (and $30). Options are always nice. And having two in-state options seemed prudent.

So, now that the HARD work is done, it is time to start applying for scholarships. Sorry Gib! But if we're really lucky, there will be lots of silver and gold lining as a result!

We'll see who gets the last laugh.





4 comments:

Kay said...

Yeah, I thought that happy face looked fake! But I hope a real happy face comes along any day now!!

Kristin said...

Wahoo. I hope the come rolling in like a tsunami!

Will said...

Wow Kristin, that's an interesting visual! Scholarships be rollin in!

Holly said...

YEEWHO! That is totally exciting!