Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Comfort Zone

Still signed in as Gib.... whatever.  You all know who it is!

Today I am a sub once (or is it twice?) removed at preschool.  I was at the dentist yesterday getting a filling replaced (yuck) when I got the news a Pre-K teacher's son has walking pneumonia. Not a problem - I knew from experience the attraction of taking the pumpkins we got at the farm on Thursday and getting to clean the mud off and wash them all day in the water table, and also a weighing station to see which was heaviest, maybe do some sorting by size, weight, prettiest, biggest stem, etc.  This can last ALL day.  "Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy" as the pre-k kids like to say.

Then I got a call from my boss in the afternoon. I answered it with "I hear I'm subbing" thinking she didn't know I knew.  "Yeah, well about that....."  Turns out that we are down 2 teachers in the Littles side of preschool, and only one sub can come in who was going to be doing my job.  A grandpa stepped up to the plate and is staying with the walking pneumonia kid so his mom can play with pumpkins all day, and I was moved to the 2 yr old class who's son had a fever at school and whose teacher sounds sick too.

So it's a little out of my comfort zone, but luckily I remember the words to the song "If You Chance to Meet a Frown" which should come in handy when they all start crying at once when they don't see their beloved teacher!

Well, I better get dressed and run out the door to pick up preschool milk and take something to Mike. As a testament to my experience with 2 yr olds, I'm wearing something that won't show if I have to cuddle snotty criers.  At least it's a short week - no school on Thursday!!

P.S. Mariah has a chorus concert tonight. Looking forward to it!

No comments: