We have entered High Summer, in case you didn't know. There are certain colors the fashionable are wearing too, and if you would like to be enlightened, I am happy to do so. I have to wear them at work, and can no longer wear Spring and early Summer colors... unless of course they just so happen to be included in the High Summer collection. Geez, who knew?!
I am learning all sorts of new terminology in my retail work at Coldwater Creek. I am entering the week which completes my first month on the job and we just finished a complete "floor change" and major store cleaning. Wow, that was alot of work!!
Tonight I go in for another over night floor change after hours where I guess we will be unpacking more freight which was why I was supposed to learn everything one gal knew about it. We managed about 15 minutes of uninterrupted work and then the rest of the day we were in the store and never returned to freight work. Well, I sure hope opening one box and taking out two things, pushing the button once on the giant steamer closet and seeing how they organize one visual rack to represent the entire floor will at least give me some skill to be put to use.
Right now there is some 70% off merchandise so it's a great time to go get some good deals! I think we are probably moving around the clearance section to make room for more new stuff. I think there are 9 "stores" by number within the store. I still don't quite know the store numbers by sections. I probably need to memorize that this week. I am constantly being pulled and tugged by one associate or another as they are instructed to "teach me everything they know" and then 15 minutes later we get reassigned and that was that!
I have also learned how to use the cash register and am getting much faster and neat with hanging up clothes JUST SO. There is one associate who will walk by and shake her head at your rack of items to go back out on the floor and go, "No... No... Yes... Yes... No" and keep on walking. Gotta love that. Really, it kinda makes me smile because she can spot the problem while on the move. It's kind of dragonlady-ish but she doesn't mean to be unkind, she just knows her stuff. And I'd rather know back in the dressing room that the jeans I just hung up in a pleat fold should have been flat hung. And she is good at helping you figure out what you did wrong and teaching you how to hang items correctly. I learned more from her way of doing things about getting it right than from others who have showed us. Everyone has their system. The last time I worked with her I only got one NO when she walked by. Woot! Woot!
There is a stupid rhyme that drives me crazy about hanging pants:
2,4,6,8 - hang them straight
10, 12, 14 - let them lean (so you are supposed to fold back one side, on the hanger, but does the rhyme tell you which side, or which pair of pants are folded front side or sideways pleated, or which ones don't even get hung up on hangers at all and are folded on tables?! Noooooo)
16, 18, 20 - fold them plenty (it doesn't even rhyme...really)
And this is what goes thru my head the entire time I am buttoning, zipping, pinching the little hanger dohickeys, sliding everything around, centering it on the hanger, and tightening it all so a fricking quarter can bounce off the waistband if dragon lady should try when she walks by.... ah! it's soooo much fun!!!
And for all that.... my first paycheck was like $21 bucks hahahaha. It had 2 weeks withholding on it or something. I get a decent one I hope when I go in tonight. Gotta say, I have never worked so hard for so little. But it is still fun and when it's not fun, there's just no point.
Unless, that is, I want the inside track on what colors to wear for Early Fall....
6 comments:
So you are making a dollar an hour? Wow tell them you need a raise! :)
And I think I would be annoyed with the rhyming as well. I sure hope who ever made it up didn't pass 1st grade...
LOL! I remember working at Express when they were big. Boy, did I get good at folding shirts. ;)
That post was a fabulous look at the world of Retail.
So our dreams have some grounding in reality. Go figure! Good thing they don't know you'd work there for free, or the $21 might seem like a king's ransom!
whats high summer? Is that like Prevening? haha i did the world a favor. -gib
Post a Comment