Monday, April 20, 2009

Fire in the Hole!

Taryn made it in Explosives Camp! She is very excited. It's just before her birthday, so maybe as a joke we should give her sparklers. They should seem incredibly dull and wimpy after Explosives Camp!!! Taryn has another ACT test on Wednesday. The scores came back in from the April 4 test and she upped her score by 3 pts! With this score she qualifies for a $1-7k per year scholarship at M S&T. I like the sound of 7k alot more than 1k!! What a range, huh? There's been two rough science tests in a row, and I know she has it in her to improve her math score, so we're really hoping the science section on this test turns out to be the easier one of the year and that Taryn nails the math. If she can up her score another 3 points she reaches the next level of scholarship money...aka the big bucks of $7.5-9k a year. At least the lower number isn't sooo low! It's a stretch, but if she wants it badly enough, Taryn will go for it.

Indy has a big week. She is going to the Symphony. She got tickets at my preschool's silent auction and they ended up being some really posh box seats front & center. So it will be a fancy night. She also has her first of two senior proms she is going to. She and her friend Chantel, who goes to a different high school, are going together to both of their proms. Chantel's is in May. Indy also has Senioritis....not too bad, but you know how it is! She gets a day off this week though and gets to come to work with ME! While the Juniors are taking the ACT, the 9th & 10th graders are doing something, so the Seniors are being allowed to go Job Shadowing that day. We're going to have a great day! I told another teacher all about Indy and she commented on how great it was going to be to have two Chrissie's for a day and I replied that Indy is actually alot better than I am! She said that was hard to believe, and I said just wait - she's the New & Improved, and Ms. Leigh's comeback: "Is she Chrissie 2.0?!" We got a good laugh on that one. But it's true. She IS!!!!!

Gib is going backpacking this weekend. They will be doing 10-15 miles a day to help prepare for Philmont in July. He has been hiking almost every Saturday, increasing the weight in the daypack and now I think they are hiking the trail twice for distance as well. He had to get a bunch of dr's stuff filled out for Philmont and there is a chart of height/weight that you have to make in order to be allowed to go due to how strenuous the Philmont experience is. Gib was OK until he grew again, and then his weight was at the low end of the chart, only making it by a pound or two. So before Mike took him to the dr appt, he passed along some of his old wrestling days scale-manipulation tricks....Gib ate a huge lunch and drank 2 bottles of water before they left the house. When he weighed in, he had gained over 3 lbs! Then he ran to the bathroom!

Mariah has Volleyball camps left and right. She is going to another free clinic this weekend. Her rec team is doing well this season and Mariah has started serving over-hand. She hopes to make the 6th grade middle school team. We just went for the middle school open house. I liked how they did it this year. They had teams of current sixth grade ambassadors who gave the upcoming sixth grader a tour of the school, introduced them to whatever teachers we ran into, showed us their lockers and how to open them, etc. It was fun to get the inside scoop. Mariah loved it and our cute ambassadors pretty much knew everything and let me tell you, between the two of them and Mariah...the chit-chat never stopped!!

3 comments:

Mickie and Matt said...

That was a good update Chrissie! So by July gib should be packing you around on his hikes? Sounds like he's working hard at that! I am definitely not a new and imporved version of my mother, I am different but my mom is still way better with little ones then I so go Indy! Awesome that Taryn could get into explosives camp... that sounds right up Matts alley. As for Mariah serving overhand in 6th grade is awesome I didnt get it down until seventh and even then I wasnt consistent at all!

Kristin said...

Explosives Camp? That is awsome. Where on earth do you find out about all these things.

Oh Gib, you should have gulped down the water right when you got there. LOL that is a lot of water not to pee. It is painful!

Holly said...

Okay...I thought it was hard with 2, but ww you take the cake! How do you remember everything and where everyone is going? I had senioritis bad... :P