Monday, April 6, 2009

Blown Away By St. Simons

So, Indy and I drove through a small hurricane to arrive at St. Simons Island, Georgia last night. It was a long 9 hr drive due to some traffic, and detours, both planned and unplanned. Then the deluge hit and we drove from Atlanta to the coast in a torrential downpour. It was one of the worst driving experiences of my life. There were times I literally could not see the road and could barely make out the car in front of me. Turns out the wipers on the silver volvo need to be replaced. They were seriously not up to the task.

This morning Indy and I took a very nice walk on the beach. I hoped we'd find some neat seashells. Well, we found several dead jellyfish instead. Virtually no shells at all. Weird, huh?! We took a couple photos but there doesn't seem to be a memory card thingy on the hotel's computer I'm using.

As soon as we showered and dressed - the day was looking gloomy again, we planned to go get pedicures and eat and hope for sun when we returned - the sun came out! It was decently warm and humid, so we threw on our suits as fast as we could, rushed down to the patio in front of the ocean and the second we got there, big black thunderclouds rolled in and rain drops started falling. We laughed and put everything away and went back to go get dressed again and go back to Plan A.

As soon as we left to get lunch and a pedi, the sun came back out. No joke. I was annoyed then. But we were hungry and so we did not fall for it a second time and run to change back into suits.

We had a nice lunch, got our pedi's, and returned to the hotel to find blue skies and sun, and WIND!! Like you would not believe. Sunbathing in F1 force winds is something else. Indy was battling her towel which kept flying into her face even though she was lying on it. Our flip flops and water bottles were blown away and had to be chased down. It was interesting. But we got almost 2 hrs of sun before we couldn't take the wind chill.

So we've decided since the Beach Trip is apparently out, we're turning this into a Spa trip. The agenda tonight is massages and we're going to a nice restaurant for late night dinner of Soft Shell Blue Crab if they have it (I haven't had that before - it's seasonal and I have no idea when that season is!) and Indy's going for a lb of Snow Crab Legs. That's why we're eating so late - so we are really hungry!

1 comment:

Holly said...

That sounds like the Spring Break trip to San Diego when there was no sun. Man, was that fun! Good memories... Hope the sun shines for you soon! ;)