Monday, May 23, 2011

Random News

Woke up with a migraine brewing - knew it was going to be One Of Those Days

Slept in a little too late and threw together lunches, watched the kids get on the bus and then just sat holding my head still, either in front of the computer or TV to watch tornado coverage of Missouri.

Today was the last full day of school.... except for Gib, who texted me a few minutes into his bus ride to call his school and get him out of Study Hall Exam. The school took it in stride and I thought he could just check himself out. I should have sent an email. Unfortunately, when 10:30 rolled around, the initial stage of a mega migraine had just hit and I needed to just pass out. Gib didn't have a signed note so I had to weave my way through high schoolers looking like I was about to heave-ho, get the dude and drive him and a friend home. Somebody forgot to bring his drivers permit. Bummer :( I alternated between intense a/c and then a little heat, and then more a/c just to make it without gagging while I drove. I'm sure his friend found it very reassuring. But hey, he got home sooner. I grabbed an ice pack and passed out for a few hours.

The cicadas have an unending DRONE that you can hear inside the house. Plus it was windy. So I was wondering what in the world that wave of noise was. It was getting through the pillows I had packed around my head, the covers I pulled over my head, and everything! I opened a window to listen better and rolled my eyes and shut it again.... cicadas!! Now that I'm awake, I figured I might as well stay up and enjoy the headache and have a little caffeine to go with it.

Those cicadas are so noisy, and as I sit here and analyze the noise, I realize they all seem to go in a wave of sound. It's rather irritating. I think less than half have emerged. Oy, it will soon be awful if that is true. I need to take some photos of our driveway, the house on that side, and the big tree in the back. They are all covered in newly emerged cicadas and shells. I think the empty shells that look just like bugs are the grossest part of the whole "Cicada Storm" as one of the preschoolers called it.

The patio project is just about finished. Finally!!! Whoa, we hit a slow down from February to May. Partly due to weather and partly due to the contractor moving like he's from the South; which he is, and the nicest guy ever, but c'mon, I hate it when I have to nag. Today we are finally getting the concrete power washed, sealed and first coat of stain put on. I kinda heard the power washing while I was passed out. When I woke up, it was done! :)

It was a major snag to find a company to do the concrete the way we all envisioned. I was ready to just give up on it. Then there was the unending winter. We had 2 days of 90, and then it was 50 degrees and raining for days again! We have 4 more days of rain once this system hits too. But, if we like the color today, we won't have to stain again. They start light and apply more as needed.

Indy's purrball is still a secret amongst the felines here but I anticipate the cat getting out of the bag, or the upstairs, before too long. He has escaped but we managed damage control before Chino opened his eyes and saw the intruder. That was a close call. Thank goodness Aussie is not a meow-er. He is WILD though!! Gib made a sock toy yesterday just to get the demon from chewing my arm off. I have two battle scars from that little episode of trying to teach Aussie rules 1 & 2. Rule #1 NO! NO! Rule #2 Paws, not Claws. Still working on them. Indy sometimes gets hourly reports, including pics and vid of Aussie's progress.

Mike tells me we are going to have a special guest next week! His sister Kay bought a car from a dealership in town and is flying in to drive it home. That is pretty cool. We get a visit and she gets a car!

2 comments:

Mickie and Matt said...

Thank goodness we don't have cicadas then... Matt knows EXACTLY what you mean by about to puke while having a migraine. In fact not sure which day it was last week but he came home white a ghost, claiming it was unsafe for him to drive in his state because he could barely see anything and went straight to the bathroom. He didn't end up puking but he did crash on the couch for about 3 hours. He didn't move his arm from over his eyes the entire time. You and he would be good migraine buddies I think.

Hey I JUST talked to my mom and she didn't say anything about buying a car. That lady... she just goes and buys a BMW and doesn't tell me! I am jealous that she gets to visit.

Kay said...

I'm excited to visit, not excited to drive three full days home. The things we do for our husbands....:)