Friday, November 12, 2010

Veterans Day Tribute

Veterans Day Tribute - watch the photo slides, you'll see Mariah with the choir in a white tee, and Mom, Grandpa and I in a photo taken prior to the program.

Yesterday was a wonderful Veteran's Day for Grandpa. He said it was the best tribute program he's ever been to. He was one of a handful of World War II Veterans, and represented his branch of the Army well. All the branches of the military were in fact represented - Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines and U.S. Coast Guard. The Marine Corps and Air Force had by far the largest showing of family presence in attendance. Several teachers and staff members of the school have served in the military. One of the more recent additions to the teaching staff served in Iraq and Afganistan and now teaches history. He looks like he just graduated college. I was amazed.

The speaker, when announcing those present at the program, mentioned the areas Grandpa fought in as an Private 1st Class infantry soldier - France and Germany 1943-1946 - as "no picnic, that's for sure" and that he saw tough combat. What really struck him though was that in 1950 he signed up to serve his country again; this time as a Sergeant in the Army National Guard, and was called into active duty back to the infantry in Korea where he received 2 bronze stars. Turning 91 on December 1st, and great-grandfather to Mariah - all that contributed to a special round of applause. It was awesome.

Here is the list of medals/commendations Grandpa provided for us:

World War II
Combat Infantry Badge
Good Conduct Medal
World War Victory Medal
European African Middle Eastern Campaign Medal (the speaker mentioned this told him Grandpa served under General George Patton)

Korean War
Army of Occupation, Japan
Korean Service Medal, 2 bronze stars
United Nations Service medal
Federal Service Ribbon

3 comments:

Mickie and Matt said...

Wow that is great. How awesome that he could come to the tribute and how special for Mariah to help honor her great grandpa!

My F.I.L. served in the Navy, I should ask him more about that next time I talk to him. I have no idea how long he was in the Navy, what his rank was, or if he even saw combat. I asked Matt and he didn't know either.

Holly said...

That is neat! I bet that made your Gpa feel special. What a great tribute! Eric's Dad was in the Navy and we have many friends (living in Colo Sprigs) that are serving or served...I am grateful everyday they fought for my freedom.

Kay said...

Wow! Totally cool!