So, I saw the eye specialist at Vanderbilt. He said I was the 3rd person that day with this problem and that's really unusual. It's an old person thing. I'm too young for it of course. But, Kay, and all you other wimps driving around in terror, his exact words, "you've been managing your condition beautifully... up til now". At least I was proactive and took care of this before there was an accident!
Everyone should take note however, that those MONOCULAR vision correction glasses or contact lenses can trigger the problem. I tried those briefly. I doubt it triggered my problem, since I have not had coordinated fusion since I was a kid, but was able to get away with it... how, I don't know. The Dr thinks I probably had a lazy eye that went undiagnosed.
I got a temporary prism thingy stuck to my glasses to fix my immediate visual problem. After a few days, if I'm good to go, I am to get new glasses with prism. Right now, it looks stupid, but it works! Hallelujah! The drive home in the dark, rush hour traffic, proved that beyond a shadow of doubt. It does mean, however, no more contacts... ever. If the prism solution doesn't work out, then there is a surgery route we can pursue. If I did that, I would guess at some point I could be a contact lens wearer again. Too bad when they fix the eye muscles they can't fix the vision all at the same time! Geez, I'm a busy woman! I don't have time to do these things twice!!
So, the two possible diagnosis are: Divergent Esotropia something or Cerebellum Disintergration. Y'all know I'm just going with Divergence and laughing at the Disintergration, knowing that with my luck I'm about to implode here. Our lesson of the day:
esotropia
[es′ətrō′pē·ə] Etymology: Gk, eso + tropos, turning
a medial deviation of one eye relative to the other fixating eye such that fusion is not maintained. Also called convergent squint, convergent strabismus, internal strabismus. Compare esophoria, exotropia. See also strabismus. esotropic, adj.
I rather like the #3, but #2 is probably my problem:
di·ver·gence (d-vûrjns, d-)1.
a. The act of diverging.
b. The state of being divergent.
c. The degree by which things diverge.
2. Physiology A turning of both eyes outward from a common point or of one eye when the other is fixed.
3. Departure from a norm; deviation.
I didn't find much on the disintergration the dr. mentioned. He said we could do a MRI to investigate further (and I will be talking to my neuro, be sure of that!) but he didn't feel it was warranted since I am not having problems with depth perception, per se, or with balance, dizziness, etc. Memory yes, falling down? No. However, I took a quick look on the internet just to see what a disintergrating future might look like for me. I haven't found much yet, but I did diverge in an interesting direction and found an article about autism and "the dance" with reference to Temple Grandin. A quick read, and interesting perspective.
http://www.autcom.org/articles/Cerebellum.html
6 comments:
Hmmmm wow, I am glad your prism on your glasses is helping for now. No picture? I imagine a little prism covering up one eye or something to make you have 6 eye balls when looking at someone. HAHA I bet your pre-schoolers will love it!
Maybe that condition has something to do with all the migraines too?
Sure hope the prism continues to work. Bummer about the contacts...
Maybe this will help with the migraine issue too!
WOW! I hope that helps!
Was I just called a whimp? Okay, when it comes to eye surgeries, I think you're got me pegged!
But hopefully this will clear up a few issues for you!
I vote surgery. No need to cover up those beautiful eyes!
Post a Comment