Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Sharks and Fish

Now that it's winter, we have P.E. on Tuesdays at preschool. This year we have a new PE teacher and she's wonderful! She taught PE in elementary school so she has all the skills needed to be heard and get things jumping! Yesterday we had a rousing game of Sharks and Fish. We have a bucket full of shiny stain scarves in a rainbow of colors that get used in many ways that I had my mom and another mom make when I was the music teacher. The PE teacher yesterday used them for fish fins - the kiddos tucked a scarf in their waistband or back pocket and we started out with 1 shark vs 26 kids. The shark, standing in a shark tank (aka the gray rug in the middle of the basketball court) tried to pull off a tail fin as the kids ran past it. Next round there were more sharks, and finally we had 25 sharks and 2 little kids. One made it to the other side without losing his tail fin. What was funny were the kids who wanted to become sharks- sashaying up to the sharks and not really running and hoping to get nabbed, but trying not to be too obvious about it. Every round I was hugging or holding somebody while they put an ice pack on a bonked head. Ms. J doesn't watch our rugby boys playing rough often enough to realize what a fun misadventure this would be, although she was smart to put boys on the right and girls on the left.

Then our PE teacher made a tactical error. She put all the kids in as sharks and made 3 of us teachers fish. I dumped the kiddo in my lap and ran up to get MY tail fin! The other teachers are both runners and I'm chased by these kids every day, so I know all their tricks. We laughed that Ms. J didn't realize how uber-competitive we all were, so needless to say - the sharks didn't stand a chance. 3 teachers, age 30 and up, did not go lightly on little 4 and 5 yr olds. Not even to make their day. We lined up. Took our marks. And were off!!! I dodged a few sharks, had one little mean guy on my tail who I had seen diving for fish fins so I knew not to run in a straight line. Nevertheless, he pinned me to the sideline so I kicked it into high gear whooping and hollering the whole way. When I reached the finish line I still had my tail, a couple kids were down in the middle of the gym, and the other two teachers, who had a harder trail to blaze came in right behind me. Ice packs, hugs and laughter took care of the poor bruised sharks.

It was a great day. I'm gonna read Commotion in the Ocean today to make up for not letting any little kids win.

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I love that you didn't let any of the kids win. That is awesome!

Holly said...

AHAHA, I could just picture it in my mind! I love that game! It used to wear the kids out when we played it in soccer (the tail fin was the ball...) ;-)

Chrissie said...

The kids got even with me. They sent a delegate with a snotty nose to blow it all over my face when he was crying from a jammed finger. In the eye, mouth and glasses. Super gag. I did a Kay-Gag and took off. Hey, I brought back an ice pack! Definitely the worst outside of a barfer, and I've traded rodent/lizard/snake capture for taking care of tummy troubles.