Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Before you go to sleep...

The following is a post written by my sister Crystle that has touched my heart and is shared with her permission.

Before you go to sleep...

I'm lying next to my Marine right now. He's got most of the covers, he's snoring and laying on my side of the bed.

I was 10 minutes late picking him up when he got to base (frantically changing clothes because I wanted to look my best for him!) He said it was no big deal, but I sensed he was a little hurt.

The school almost put Milynn on the bus to the youth center today even though I called and reminded them not to as her Dad wanted to surprise her there. (thank God for my good friend Amber putting a stop to that bus driver!!)

We were all so tired and on different eating schedules so we didn't have dinner as a family.

Matt was so tired he fell asleep before we could watch a movie or even have a very long conversation.

Sounds like a pretty lousy homecoming, huh?

Well that couldn't be further from the truth!

When I told Matt why I was late he immediately looked flattered and happy that I cared that much. (we've been together for almost 10 years-he's seen me look my very worst and best)

Milynn was so excited to see her Dad that Matt and I forgot about our anxiety and irritation at the school.

Since we ate at different times we decided to have ice cream dinner together.

And last- that man lying in my spot, with my covers snoring away- is the most beautiful sight and sound in the world.
You see just last Friday there was a helicopter crash in Afghanistan and it flew out the same day as he did. For two agonizing hours I thought for sure my husband was dead. The news only reported that it was a CH-53 helicopter and that's the one he works on. I ran to the neighbors house to hide out. (for some reason I felt if I wasn't home to be notified then he couldn't be dead- strange the irrational things one does when faced with a crisis, huh?) Tragically six Marines lost their lives and one of them Matt knew well. But luckily for me, my husband was safe.

And in 6 months he will be gone again. So even though we had some hang ups today- everyone of them turned into a positive. My family is whole again, at least for the next 6 months...

So maybe you and your spouse didn't have a great day, maybe you quarreled over little things or maybe you're just tired of his bed hogging...but I urge you, as a military wife who spends nights and nights alone, don't let those little things make you bitter towards each other. You never know what you miss until they aren't there anymore.

Before you go to sleep, remind yourself just why you love this person enough to let him/her steal the covers;)

3 comments:

Will said...

That was a good perspective that we all need to remember once in a while.

Holly said...

I can not wait to hear snoring on Friday night. ;-) Thanks for sharing!

Kay said...

Thanks for sharing