Friday, March 19, 2010

Keeping My Head Up

I'm keeping my head up... in more ways than one. I've been fighting a sinus infection all week, so I've been sleeping on about 3 pillows so I can breathe and have the neck ache to show for it. I really feel rotten and wish it would just go away. I just didn't feel like going to the dr with everything going on, so I self-prescribed antibiotics I had on hand (I know!) since my co-teacher has it, our director has it, and another teacher does too. I guess something nasty went thru the school.

This week has been a bit of an emotional roller coaster, but it helps to know there are people who love and support each other through hard times. I am especially touched that Mickie visits Emily's grave, and took Ty this year. I love the photo of the big guy hanging out with the tulips by Grandma Pete & Emily. Something about it makes me smile and stays with me even today...how can you be sad with that image in your mind?! It's much better than the lonely one I had of leaving her behind whenever we visited her back when the loss was new.

Because I was sick last Monday I had to cancel my haircut appointment and it was moved to today. I usually try save this day for me and spend it quietly with my thoughts and feelings, doing whatever I need to...thinking about my family, what I'm grateful for, how far we've come, etc. But today, I am getting the first haircut since I chopped it all off last month. It should be interesting. I decided on the chop-chop so I could grow out the color and see if I like what's underneath. This cut and the next will probably remove the majority of the brown left. I'm hoping we can take about another 3/4" off the top today, leaving about half & half. That should look hideously awkward for a month. Then we can go super short and cut the rest off completely and see what we've got. My stylist says I'll hate it, that I will look like I'm 50 and grandmotherly, and that my coloring is all wrong to carry off the look. Well, we'll see won't we?! So far, I'm loving it, have received lots of compliments, 45 this July isn't THAT far from 50 (once you're old, you're old), and I'm just not that attached to hairstyles. So, if I hate it, I figure I have a new blank canvas to play with!

3 comments:

Lynne Cook said...

You go, girl! "It's not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in your years." - A. Lincoln

Chrissie said...

no haircut afterall. I was pulling out of the driveway and Lori called. She wasn't feeling well and frankly, neither am I... major light-headedness. So now we're rescheduling for Monday. 3rd time's the charm, I hope.

Holly said...

Bummer about the no cut! I had Trish do mine today and I'm not as brave as you...I NEED the color. :P
I have decided that 40 isn't that bad...:)