Sunday, March 7, 2010

Catching Up..

I just realized it's been a LONG while since I updated the blog.
Last week was Taryn's trip to Missouri University of Science & Technology. It was her PRO weekend - which stands for Preview, Registration & Orientation. Here we are on our lunch break at Steak & Shake.
Taryn was real happy to pose for a photo.

During the PRO session, Taryn had to take 2 math placement exams which were very hard. She is, after all, going to a science & tech school! Based on the results of those tests, all the freshmen later in the day had an academic planning session with ONE parent, and one parent only. So Mike and Taryn mapped out her 1st year of college courses and schedule, met with her advisor and got it signed off. Her roomie took her to the registrar's office and together they got her enrolled in those classes. And just like that, we have another registered college student!
While most of that was happening, I amused myself with a self-guided tour of the campus and the camera!
This is where we started our PRO day.
We parents were in a large auditorium listening to several
informational sessions for a long time...
I liked this funky little house!
When Geeks Go To War....

This is a really neat building to look at in person
The camera didn't do it justice

All the satellite dishes made me smile
Taryn's a registered college student now!

And last but not least...
During the college booth fair, I first found Indy's friend Chantel who goes to MS & T, and couldn't believe out of all the people there I saw her! You know if we had tried to meet up it would've never happened so easily! I was so excited, I went right by the LDS institute booth and Mike's Delta Sig booth without seeing either, ran up to her, yelled her name and went to give her a hug. I forgot my hair was drastically different and she had this look on her face like, who is hugging me?! As soon as I started talking she knew it was me and while we were talking Mike abandoned the lunch line "we" were in and came looking for me. We had a nice chat with Chantel.

Then I turned around and Mike was talking to the Delta Sigs! Mike was so happy to see his frat brothers! After a chat with them, we started to lunch and saw a booth for the LDS institute. Since nobody was there right then and Taryn hadn't joined us yet, and we were in danger of missing lunch entirely, we came back to them later with T.


The two guys we met who were representing Institute got Taryn's #. They said they have great LDS institute, but I forget how many they said attend - maybe 30? They go to a regular ward but have their own single adult activities and alot of them. For St. Patricks Day they were all going to Nauvoo for a couple days for example.



Just before we headed home, we took up the offer to have a private tour of the new Delta Sigma Phi house. We drove over and saw the main areas and compared to the house Mike's frat had at SDSU...it's AMAZING!!! It's right inside this building in the business district down the street from the college hot spot Alex's Pizza where we ate dinner with Taryn's roomie and her family. The house has a basement that holds 200, and over 50 guys live in the house at a time. Going Greek at MS&T is very big, but it is more affordable there than what I've seen elsewhere. For the girls, it's actually $2k less per year to live in a Sorority house than it is to be in campus residential hall. Whereas, if Indy had wanted to be in a sorority, she would be paying over $2k a semester to do so and most don't get to live in the sorority house! Taryn and Katherine are considering rushing one of the 4 Sororities, with Chi Omega or Kappa Delta being main front runners in my estimation.
Mike and Taryn at the Delta Sigma Phi House

4 comments:

Kay said...

Oh my goodness! Little Taryn all growed up and off to college almost!

I love how the spell checked hates the three year old word...growed!

Mickie and Matt said...

Wow that was a VERY thorough trip! Cant believe Taryn is all signed up for college. Craziness.

Holly said...

Say it ain't so! You have 2...I got teary eyed today when I realized I have a little over 3 years before Con goes on his mission. Crazy! Sounds like T will have a blast! Love the last pic... :)

Kristin said...

Sounds like a great trip!