So the oven was just on fire. Yeah, seriously on fire.
I had turned it on to bake a pie. I was mixing the pumpkin stuff, Pixie wanted in so I let her in, fed her and came back into the kitchen. My mom was chopping walnuts and I smell something hot, so I look at the oven and see FLAMES!!! So, of course I say matter of factly, "the oven is on fire" my mom rushes over and we stare at it as if we can't believe it's happening. I turned it off, and I'm all like, "what's in there?!" thinking it was empty because I had just turned it on. We peer through the flames and see Taryn's little loaf of pumpkin bread above the flames getting quite toasty. But I'm wondering, why is there a fire underneath it?! And my mom goes, the flames will go out without oxygen. And I'm all, no they're not. So she goes, get flour. So I run to the pantry and end up throwing about 3 cups of flour on the flames. Oh, but wait, first let me describe the billowing PUFF BALL OF BLACK SMOKE that erupted when we opened the oven door to put out the fire. All over the kitchen I had just meticiously cleaned today and yesterday. And the smell?!?!? PEEEEEE--EEEEEE--UUUUUUU! That's when it hits me...there used to be a plastic lid on that pumpkin bread!!!!! Argh!!! Now there's probably a plastic blob on the bottom of my stove, covered in 3 cups of flour. I have no idea how to clean that up. I can't even think about it right now. My blood pressure needs to go alot lower before I can go back to the kitchen and pick out the black flecks of soot that was flying all over the kitchen and landed in my pumpkin pie stuff.
I discovered something else. Burnt plastic goes on the list along with burnt socks of things that cause instant migraines. I've got a doozy of an ice pick pounding at the inside of my left eye right now. I'm waiting for the meds to kick in. Taryn and Mariah recognizing the Beast that was about to emerge, quickly soothed things over by cleaning the cupboards and swiffered the 2x mopped and polished floors. Taryn announced that the pumpkin bread was saved and still tastes ok. Phew. What a relief. I'm just glad the smoke alarms didn't go off. I got the windows open just in time. Too bad the whole house that did smell so deliciously clean now smells like a burnt plastic pumpkin.
6 comments:
Ahh the joys of baking! I did that about 2 years ago, I used to have little plastic clip magnets that I hung my hotpads on and i forgot to remove on off the edge of the hotpad as I reached in the oven. About 20 minutes later I smell something and there is was.... plastic plie of PEEEEE UUUUU!!! OH and I had a way bad headache yesterday in the SAME spot as you do now! Sorry Chrissie hope things go better tomorrow :)
Okay, I know I'm not suppose to think it's funny, but....the metal picture you painted in my head had a little smile on my face! Sorry!
you always gotta bring the socks back up, dontcha?!
Oh man. What a bummer. I feel for you. Hopefully the smell will clear in time for the thanksgiving feast.
Oh man, I am so sorry about the oven! That stinks! I probably would have had to calm down a bit too... LOVES! ;)
Neither one prepared, both a little scared. Plastic in the oven . . .
Post a Comment