Monday, June 3, 2013

Hasta Luego

My TO DO LIST to get Gib and Mariah ready for Ecuador has been checked, double checked, and it's probably not an exaggeration to say triple checked squared. We have been ahead of the game and ready for the most part since Saturday. We packed the bags last night, made one last Walmart run for last minute add-on/swaps, and we are good to go!!! While Mariah and I were at Walmart she found $40 cash on the ground. We waited for about 10 minutes and I asked people we saw near us if they had lost cash from their pocket. Mariah felt so bad for whoever lost their money, but we didn't want to just turn it in and have an employee pocket it; so we were relieved when we saw a nice guy with a neon yellow Walmart badge that said COACH. He was, as Mariah put it, "a good ol' Southern boy" so we asked him if we could turn it over to him to be handled appropriately. He thanked us very earnestly and said he would take it to guest services and it would be held if someone came to claim it. It would have been great if we had seen someone retracing their steps but that didn't happen so our prayer was answered another way. I mentioned to Mariah that perhaps at the end of the day it might be added to the fundraiser drive going on there for the Children's Miracle Network. That made us feel better but we were still sad for whoever lost their money. We consoled ourselves at Culvers (yum) because everyone knows an amazing journey starts with one last all out meal of hamburgers, fries/onion rings, and ice cream!

The kids started the anti-malarial Malarone last night. No problems were reported this morning, but after Ultimate today Gib was feeling gross. We grilled Indie about what she and others on her team experienced, and have all the unwanted side effects covered with ibuprofen, Dramamine and a slew of other anti-nausea meds, plus stuff for canker sores, and a homeopathic for anxiety/bad dreams. In addition, if they should happen to get Pink Eye, stung by a bee, blisters, a sunburn, I've got their backs. They are especially prepared for Montezuma's revenge.... The long suffering looks and blank stares were priceless when I went through everything with them, going in depth on what to do for really bad diarrhea. All I can say is that if someone develops a condition, and doesn't remember they have meds for that, I will be steamed.

Fearing the topic was too delicate and I was being tuned out, I told Mariah if they got sick to call on the pharmacist who is a repeat mission trip traveler and point him to their goodie bags of meds and let him administer what they need!  I feel certain that at least one person won't scoff at me.

Our dinner conversation last night:

GIB: I'm surprised you didn't pack us toilet paper.  (gotta love a Boy Scout)
ME: Actually, I've been seriously considering it.
MARIAH: Really Mom?!
GIB: It's not a bad idea Mariah... you never know..... 
ME: Yeah! I'm pretty sure you'll be thanking me if the worst happens and you have some decent TP.

The kids have been helping me with the upcoming transition to empty nest by being gone a lot this past weekend. Mariah had an overnight Lock In at church with about 25 other teenagers. Gib has been playing Ultimate and Xbox intermittently, and he went on an overnight lake trip. Mariah is currently at the mall scoring big at some clearance rack. I hear she found a pink striped referee style blazer, a shirt, a hi-low skirt, headbands and earrings. She came out to show me part of a new outfit and I noticed she matched my red, white & blue planter! 

 
 
Mike is doing another round of Go Live and I'm making a new list for myself to occupy my time next week. It's titled:  DEEP CLEANING!!!  I'm hoping that by the time I'm mid-way thru my list that the twitching in my right eye goes away. I can barely take another day of it.

Here's praying for safe travels for everyone and an awesome adventure!

 

2 comments:

Will said...

Just surprise them and have several sheets of TP tucked into every pocket of their clothing.

Chrissie said...

Oh Will that is so funny! If only I had done it!!!