Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Put Your Best Foot Forward

 The other day I saw this on facebook and posted it to Taryn's wall because it is SO her!  It used to be that both Taryn and Indie would wear different socks when they were young, so as to completely tie in all the colors of the outfit they were wearing that day. Taryn saw way too many benefits to ever give it up and still enjoys the wild pairing!  Taryn's kid-sized feet look cute in different socks anyway - and she felt inspired to send me a picture each day this week of them.









 I am almost certain this is all Taryn and not so much the decongestants at work here.  She has been sick, but I hope she is feeling MUCH better!

Indie is enjoying her Spring Break right now in Florida. The vacation began at someone's beach house on the gulf with the girls (and the guy whose family has the house). The guys have their own traditional guys trip going on. The vacation ends when everyone meets up for a 3 day cruise to Bahamas and back. Indie says their group has about 20 people in block of rooms. Wow - will that ever be fun!! I am so excited for her - she deserves this celebration as they all prepare to graduate Mercer.

Mariah also came down with a cold. She missed school yesterday but is attempting to make a go of it today. We have been busy gathering items for the Silent Auction to raise funds for the Ecuador mission trip. Mariah made announcements at church on Sunday for this Friday's Parents Night Out. She and another youth going on the mission trip did such a great job! Everyone laughed in all the right places. They had an amazing script writer is all I can say. I am taking flyers to my preschool today in hopes of getting a ton of kids to come to our event. All the money raised Friday goes directly to the kids' mission expense. The Silent Auction funds will help the youth somewhat but the majority of those funds go for medical and dental supplies, school supplies, medicine, etc.

Gib has been busy preparing to slide into the finale of his high school years. There was a domino effect Prom Date Swap which I think he started. The girl he was going with liked his friend---Gib and Maya hit it off at the JROTC ball and Gib decided he'd rather go with her than be the third wheel in his group. So his friend is taking Gib's former date, the date his friend was taking is going with someone else, and I have no idea what happened to everyone else who was further down the chain reaction. Gib says everyone was happy in the end. And in case you wondered, Maya didn't have to dump anyone because "the JROTC always gets their man" and she was strategizing this entire time on getting Gib to take her to the prom. They are an "item" now. I can just see the Machiavellian maneuvers she orchestrated to get Gib's former date and his friend together so Gib was free to take her!  I like this girl.   Haha - Gib who never shares his personal life unless its need to know and we never need to know - will be less than pleased with THAT report! Mariah also has some girlfriend advice for him from the 9th grade girls which I am sure he will appreciate.

We have booked our stay in Birmingham for the last half of our Spring Break. Gib begins Break on a weekend backpacking trip. Taryn will be coming home while he is backpacking! yay! We will have a couple days together with doctor appointments squeezed in. Then Gib will do overnight campus visits at BSC and Samford. One of those schools will likely be The One! (Unless the University of Tennessee-Knoxville does something that changes everything....).  I am very happy with either Birmingham selection because they are outstanding universities - I think Gib will thrive with a liberal arts approach - it is an easy drive and there should be great opportunities for business internships. My personal favorite is BSC. I was bouncing in my seat yesterday when I heard back from his admissions counselor that they also have an Ultimate Frisbee team that plays at a competitive college club level.

We are finishing one last Boy Scout of America scholarship. It would sure be nice if Gib gets something from the BSA organization or this memorial scholarship we are working on now. Every little bit helps! We are thrilled that he has received a big award offer that puts a private liberal arts college within reach financially.


1 comment:

Will said...

Some Hollywood script writer is going to use Gib's Prom switch story for a plot and probably add revenge in somehow.