There's books about the zoo, there's books about a Who, there's books about wockets, and books in pockets. I've dozens to spare. In fact, there's even one about hair. But for Gertrude McFuzz - well she isn't anywhere.
I have to tell you a funny quote from preschool and the bird nest discussion last week. I asked at lunch what kind of things the kiddos thought birds used to build their nests. One little guy started ticking off all the things that came to mind - "grass, mud, sticks, man hair....horse hair..... "(long pause....probably because I was alternating between laughing and gagging on my lunch, and he was really watching my expression) "hay, dirt...."
Tonight, I tried out a new and improved version of the hat I was going to make for the McFuzz story. I'm thinking I can tie it into The Hair Book. Think paper birthday crown meets dreadlocks. I put alot of long and short pieces of yarn on the inside; you flip it out through the top of the crown and when you wear it it looks like dreads. Feathers, sequins and glitter on the outside will finish the look. Wonder how long it will take my 4's to make such a creation? It may be an ongoing project this week. Whatever! I ought to post a pic of me in mine, but you know how it goes.... what happens in preschool stays in preschool.
I had another thought - which is why I would rather support than teach - my brain just never turns off! I think I will set the 30 minute lunch timer continuously throughout the day and each time it goes off we stop everything and read another Dr. Seuss. How great is that?!?!?! Two days in a row! Maybe even next week. I put in about 20 Dr. Seuss books in the class library center so might as well. The only thing set in stone is Wacky Wednesday and Leap Year. Can't mess with that day!
The best part about today? I got to go shopping for preschool pretties. Man oh Man! (not to be confused with man hair) - I love new fuzzy and shiny and pretty things! Thanks to my mom for sewing our cute new kitchen aprons and for donating all her yarn. Technicolor dreadlocks - mixed with man hair - coming to a preschool near you.
3 comments:
Dread lock crowns? I think I might just need to make one!
Oh please oh please post a picture!!
And tell me you are going to do something wonderfully fun for Pi day on 3-14? See now I got your brain working again, huh?
Loved the rhyme at the beginning.
Post a Comment