Today is the day the younger half of our progeny take the dun-dun-dun (I am really going for the musical special effects this week) SAT. Yes, it is SAT Saturday, as opposed to SON Sunday huh Mickie?! Indy and Taryn both took the ACT, so I thought it was time to try the SAT on for size. The SAT tests in Math, English, and Writing.
Mariah is taking it voluntarily as a 7th grader as part of the Duke TIP academic talent identification program. Mariah qualified to take it due to scoring 100% on math TCAP in 5th grade, and 99% in 6th. Because she has not had much Science yet, I wondered if the SAT would be a better fit for her.
The Duke TIP thing gives her an opportunity to experience the test early. Whoooweee, kind of like riding a roller coaster, huh?! Ah, the thrill. And in return, somebody gets your money and you get in their program for the next 5 years. Supposedly, it helps us develop a diagnostic education plan for Mariah. It may also lead to academic offerings over summers for Duke TIP participants such as math or science camps. The students may have some scholarship opportunities if they do well, but that is not the main goal. I, however, rather think it is the main goal of parents who are looking at the high cost of a college education these days! And of course, I expect we will get alot of college brochures in the mail for the next 5 years. I don't mind; we could use that for both kids.
I wasn't really planning on Gib taking it, but at the last minute, we signed him up too. He was so pleased. But he missed the PSAT offered at his high school when his wisdom teeth were taken out. I also liked that Gib can go with his 12 yr old sister, where they will be with mostly 17 yr olds. I'm just freaky like that and everyone knows it.
It will be a good baseline for both Gib and Mariah. And what a wonderful way to spend a Saturday!
4 comments:
HAHA i laughed visioning Gib walking in there with Mariah. It will be great. Hopefully neither caught your Bronchitis! I think I would have benefited from taking both the ACT and SAT a few times more. I remember I had a friend take it 3 times and I thought she was crazy. Looking back I could have done WAY better.
Good luck to both of them! What a way to spend a blessed Saturday :)
Yeah, I should have pushed harder for all my kids to take them again. Especially HD, he took it once. My favorite line when he came home from that test,"Hey, did you know I should have brought a calculator?"
Good luck Gib and Mariah!
That would be wicked to see Mariah and Gib walk in there all loosey-goosey to take a test that plays such a big role in everyone else's lives.
Wow that's great! I know Con is taking it next year and we may start T early too...can't hurt?!?! :)
Post a Comment