Thursday, February 28, 2013

From Freak Out to Fantastic!

So yesterday I had quite the text messaging morning with Indie.  She has an advisor whose personal style is both a blessing and a curse. Hard to get ahold of, kinda casual about the details, but always in a hurry. At least that's my take from our conversations. She had some difficulty signing up for Fall classes due to an error that took fancy footwork to overcome. There went her priority registration which also caused some stress. Finally it all worked out in the end, and Indie even got him for a class which is exactly what she wanted. So we were happy that her final year would be awesome and easy.

But then her degree audit came back saying she was missing a 400 level class to graduate. Indie thought she was going to be stuck there another semester and was freaking out. Totally did not sleep. The next morning, knowing this professor doesn't answer email, she ambushed him at the coffee shop. She was hoping he could let it slide since technically as her advisor he shouldn't have let that happen. So she starts talking really fast, and I'm imagining it's before he got his caffeine fix, so naturally he tells her to STOP - be quiet and tell me what's wrong. I can see Indie taking a deep breath, lowering the excitement level, and saying "I'm. Missing. A. Required. Class. To. Graduate". So then he goes, "what class from your transcript would you like me to replace it with?" and then just literally writes it in and signs it.  (In my imagination I like to think he ordered a double shot of expresso for himself after the ambush and a decaf for Indie. Haha).

So then Indie gets a call from the registrar that she can actually receive two diplomas instead of one! She was going to get one diploma with a double major, but now she has enough hours and credit to get two diplomas - one for each major: BA in Program in Service and Leadership and BS in Psychology.

I say Well Played Indie, Well Played.

In other news, she has been accepted into University of Tennessee's masters program for Social Work. All that's left is to hear from Denver and Washington University in St. Louis and compare offers. The tricky thing is the deadlines to accept are not lining up with each other. I think she is going to let Texas go and see what compares to Tennessee (nothing!). Washington University is the #1 in the nation and Denver is just below that. Their financial offers will be important part of considering one of those schools over TN which will be very affordable since she is considered in-state.

1 comment:

Will said...

I'm just glad that the title wasn't referring to your progression in kids. That wouldn't be very nice.