Yesterday was the hottest day EVER in Tennessee. 109 degrees. It is 84 hot and stagnant degrees right now, and it's 4 AM. Ugh, I remember feeling this before.... in LAS VEGAS! The humidity is at 55% so NASH VEGAS obviously put its spin on things.
Gib leaves today for Hawaii. He finished writing up his Eagle project, cleaned the dining room table of the books and binders he plunked down on the last day of school and never touched since, and he packed a couple days ago. He also reached the point where I assume doing laundry was no longer optional. I washed and washed and washed clothes. As I was hanging good t-shirts and folding the other half of Class B and non-school shirts, I took a good look at the amount of clothes appearing from the bottomless laundry bag. I had to count when the pile was so impressive. 45 t-shirts! Add in several pair of shorts and jeans, and you'll know how I spent that day. Gib decided to take me up on my suggestion to purge shirts from his Freshman year. I received a clever note back from my son on top of the Goodwill pile announcing the reduction. I think we can do better than that when he gets back from Hawaii. We went to a Dive shop to see about getting the dude a snorkel and mask. We learned how to choose a mask that best fits. Unfortunately, the prices were too high so we ended up taking our newfound mask-shopping and dry-snorkel-preferences to Academy Sports and saved $70. Gib thoroughly enjoyed me insisting we open each and every kind and trying them on. Hey, I replaced the packaging and nobody needs to know. Until now.
Gib's plane leaves shortly before 7 am. The guys just left for the airport. I was surprised it didn't take more wheedling to grab a quick pic of Gib before he left! But I guess when you are leaving for HAWAII, you are in a pretty good mood despite the hour.
He will arrive in Honolulu after a day of travel. They are bunking at the USS Missouri in Pearl Harbor. Taryn - Gib ended up taking your camera to save space in his backpack and have more room for puka shell necklaces and hula skirts for his sisters. Heh heh. One of the guys set up a facebook page for the trip, so hopefully we can do alot of photo-sharing. Those are fun.
On Sunday the Scouts will go to the Arizona Memorial, spend some time on the beach on Waikiki and hike to Diamondhead from Waikiki. They bunk at the Doubletree in Waikiki.
Wow, now that's MY kind of camping.
Many prayers for their safety while on this trip and for an awesome adventure! And Gib, if you read this, I was serious about the NO Cliff-Jumping comment!! Love you! See ya the day before you turn 17!
1 comment:
That sounds like my kind of camping too and Awwwwwww, Mom about the no cliff-jumping rule. Is it more like a guideline?
Post a Comment