Saturday, August 27, 2011

New Post

Taryn gently reminded me that I am quite negligent on the blog. I must admit, while I had plenty to write about, I seem to have lost my muse. So I turned to my favorite photography subjects to see if I can get it back. The cats. haha. Not exactly how it happened.

Chino - Ignoring me. Like there's any point in that.



He's so not amused by me calling his name and telling him how much I adore him.


Well, he has to admit it... he likes it.


But he can only take so much.


Diego is not a cooperative photo cat

This morning when I opened the door to get the cat's dishes from the patio, a fawn was scampering in the sprinklers. I think they had just come on and she was trying to figure out what in the world was going on. It was funny. I went for the camera and thought she was gone when I got back. But as I was standing there looking for her, out popped a head from behind the big tree trunk.


Never did see her momma.


Kay - I took this one for you. The Chaste Tree we planted is quite happy in its spot. I sure hope that means my mom won't ask us to transplant it. Ever.

If you follow my facebook, which if probably how I lost my muse in the first place because why would I want to put everything in both places?, we were "graced" with a giant Zipper spider this year in our lovely new garden area amongst the Cannas. I've been morbidly fascinated with it.

I will get around to the humans in the blog later tonight or tomorrow. And for those who don't want to see the Zipper Spider, you are safe until the bottom of the blog.

This spider, which I named Chiquita, could care less if her zipper is perfect, as long as it gets the job done. What that job is, exactly, I have no idea. But I like that about her. Every day there is a new zipper in the web. If you go out early enough, you can see her finishing the web. I'd rather not see her move really. But once she starts, I can't stop staring, however I'm so tense that if anyone came up and said BOO! I'd scream. I always back away from Chiquita. And if the cats walk near her web I hold my breathe and worry. They seem to know to go around it.

So, the son of my preschool coworker has a project this weekend to put together a powerpoint using photos of insects. I figured I would help and send a few of Chiquita as she is a beauty. Apparently I was there during feeding hour. Ehhh. The first time she raced down the web I about lost it, but I just backed up, put on the telefoto lens and got tons of pics. There is one of her snagging the hapless gnat that flew into her web. And another of her egg sac. I wish I had been there when she was making it. It hardens and all the baby spiders incubate inside it all winter. There are over a thousand zipper spider in it. That's not a happy thought for me. But I've never seen that many in one spot so I'm assuming they don't all make it or it's like Charlotte's web and they all just fly away. And since the Zipper takes care of insects I don't want, and stays where I can keep my eye on it, we have a truce. Chiquita's days are numbered now. I expect to go out one morning and she won't be there. After that I will be a little freaked... where is the giant spider?!!? Even though I know she is probably dead. When we cut down the Canna, we will have to take the branch up the hill or something.


And now the moment you have been waiting for... Chiquita and her babies. See the egg sac at the bottom left. Clever spot, huh?





Breakfast.


Hope you had yours.

2 comments:

Will said...

Wow, that is one cool spider. Definitely National Geographic worthy.

Kay said...

Man, that Chaste plant is growing like a weed! What good trans-planters we are!