Monday, February 14, 2011

"Modern" Good Turns

Some "Modern Good Turns" from my 91 yr old Grandpas Boy Scout Book, circa 1931. If you haven't done a good turn like this lately you need to step it up:


Cranked car for one-armed man (my goodness, Grandpa is OLD!!!!)

Climbed a tree at night to get a chicken for a lady (yeah, I'm buying that)

Went to town to get husband for sick woman (just any ol guy willing to marry and take care of the broad)

Boy was sick, pulled him home on wheel (he felt way better after that)

Polished an old woman's stove for her (hey Gib! I'm old! My stove needs polishing!!)

Caught a cow and drove it home for a lady (there were alot of ones about cows)

Helped grocer recover spilled fruit (origination of the 3 second rule)


Kept a cat from killing a chicken (does a birdie count?!)


Helped the cook pick a chicken (counts twice if you couldn't save the chicken from the cat)


Put top back on manhole after same was open part of night (he had nothing to do with that, Scouts Honor)

Ah, those WERE the good old days!!

*These books came from the treasures my mom brought back from Grandpa's house. I think Gib should do some sharing with his troop. There are some real gems in there.

Next time I don't have anything to blog about, I'll just open one of the handbooks for boys up, and we'll all learn how to help a lady (or a three-legged cow with a slipknot around its neck) cross the street. Or what to do with a live wire (you put it out on the curb, of course).

So... have you done anything lately that's a Modern Good Turn?! I was supposed to help my friend today who is going thru Chemo, but we had to postpone. So I got into trouble instead. See?!?! See what happens with idle hands (or is it minds)?! Guess I better get back to something more productive.

4 comments:

Holly said...

No cow tipping...just bringing them home, huh? I love it! It so much fun to read about the past...tell Gib he can come 'polish' my stove too! :oP

Kristin said...

Wow what a great guy! Cranking a car, Oh my!

Chrissie said...

heheh, I'm pretty sure Grandpa tipped a cow in his day. These were examples IN the book, not stuff Grandpa wrote down. :)))

Will said...

Ahhh, I was wondering if those were actually things he did. I've upped my laundry duty lately. does that count?