Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Calm Before the Storm

Tomorrow is the first day of school. We are NOT READY IN THE SLIGHTEST. In fact, I have absolutely no idea whether or not we will even make the bus, if Gib ever found his backpack, or if lunches have been made (although I think I might've heard Mike making them a few minutes ago). But hey, it's not like we haven't ever done this before. Who needs a dress rehearsal?! We'll just wing it! I've always found the first day is amazingly easy and all the other mornings get progressively harder.

Today was a great day despite the lack of AC in the house. I went out with Indie and Chantel. We did pedi's, lunch and had a really nice time together.

Taryn was interviewed and hired today! And she starts tomorrow. At a Subway right down the street from us. She's not super thrilled but it's a job and if a better offer comes her way she can give them 2 weeks notice. Until then, Mike hopes she gets a discount.

Mariah had her last Girl Scout fling yesterday. They did a fun pool party from 11 to 2 and she got a ton of patches for things she earned throughout the year.

We took our family photo in our Mercer t-shirts this evening. Indie thinks it's cheesy but I like the idea. I think it might become a tradition whenever someone goes off to college. Afterwards we all went bowling for a family night - probably our last one before Indie leaves. Since I got so much harassment at using bumpers, I thought I'd see how I did without them. So for the first time since I scored a 13 in 1986 without bumpers, I took the leap. I was as Indie termed it "consistently inconsistent" and got 2 spares and a gutter ball followed by a spare, a strike and a gutter ball, etc., etc. In the end I scored a 116...I was pretty darn happy about that since it's better than my usual bumper-score!

The scores for the evening for our amazing group of bowlers:
Mike - 166
Indy - 127
Chrissie - 116
Gib - 104
Taryn - 101
Mariah - 78
Grammy gets 4* for being a great spectator


One last blog worthy story: Today Gib and I made a Target run for a couple basic necessities. He was not amused at how I tried to help him decide which brand of boxers to buy. I think it would be fun to listen to our store conversations. Since I shared the Chapstick Conversation, I just have to share the Boxer Conversation. He's going to kill me but I think it's too funny not to. He'll get over it. I didn't embarrass him at Freshman Orientation. I promised not to sign up for anything in the PTO and to lay low and pretend not to know him unless given permission (although I'll probably break that promise!).

The Boxer Conversation

Me: "Feel these and see which ones you like better"
Gib: "No!" looking at me like I'm the most embarrassing insane person around
Me: "C'mon Gib. You're going to have to wear them, don't you think you'd like to know now which one feels better?"
Gib: "I'll just take the ones that look like Christmas" (there was a red plaid pair and a green plaid pair)
Me: "It won't look like Christmas unless you wear them both at the same time!" (LOL)
Gib: Eye roll and involuntary-I-can't-believe-I-just-laughed-at-that-chuckle
Me: "Oooh, look at these. There's a value pack. Those look good, what do you think?"
Gib: "They're womens!" (totally insulted)
Me: Incredulous "Womens?! Gib, it says WOVEN not Women's! Geez, look around you Bud. We're in the men's department. Do you see any female body parts on any of the packages staring us in the face? Nooooo." (we're both cracking up by now)
Me: "Oh, look here's a whole 'nother row. What do you think about these?"
Gib: looking astounded that I am actually opening the flap to feel them "Fine I don't really care"
Me: "What do you mean you don't care? Which ones do you like more? There's an awful lot of green boxers in it though. I think I'd get tired of wearing green boxers all the time. Wouldn't you?"
NO RESPONSE
Me: "Gib, am I driving you crazy right now?!" (my son looking at the ground and pinching the bridge of his nose was my clue)
Gib: (looking extremely pained) "Yesssss. Just grab those and let's go!"
Me: So I did, but as we walked away I just had to say "I guess you don't like how I shop for underwear huh?!"

I let Gib get an Icee to make up for the boxer aisle incident (and because I knew I'd be blogging about it later). Sorry Gib! It's that sick sense of humor - I can't help myself!

5 comments:

Kay said...

Oh, poor Gib! I'm sure I never embarrassed any of my kids!!

Will said...

Loved it. Poor Gib. At least you didn't pressure him to try them on.

Mickie and Matt said...

HAHA That is hilarous! I would do the same thing... infact it took me about 15 minutes to pickout Matt some boxer briefs... I have to feel them all take size and color into account, then the price and brand... arg. I wish he woul dhave been there! It takes a lot of work! Glad to hear you got a good bowling score... OH are you going to replace your Titans picture in your header with the new Mercer picture? :)

Kristin said...

Subway is not terrible. I use to get a free sandwich ever time that i worked. I ues to bring them home to my family.

Plus you never know at BYU Will and I meet at subway...

Holly said...

Okay, Chrissie you and I would have a BLAST shopping together. That sounds like my conversation with the boys. I hope the first day of school went well. :)