You know you're old when you enjoy talking about your medical issues. Or when you have to have surgery because of your medical issues. This is super interesting and really enjoyable. Kind of like the last 6 days were for me. If you'd like to stop now, the best parts were gummy bears, Munchos, Coke, and feeling better each day... and then the meals brought in which balanced out the nutritional needs vs. comfort food!
Last Friday, bright & early I had both eyes operated on to fix a muscle issue that was causing me to need an ever increasing amount of prism in my glasses to supposedly prevent double-vision & what felt like looking cross-eyed at times, especially when driving. The prism lenses are very expensive - hundreds of dollars, and I felt like since my ability to safely drive was definitely compromised at times, it was something I had to do. I was NOT looking forward to the surgery. I saw what it looked like when Taryn had it done - and thinking about it gave me the heebie jeebies. Honestly though I was a car wreck waiting to happen, so I bit the bullet and went through with it.
Friday: Got all set up in pre-op, a nausea patch behind my ear, IV'd, and gassed. They told me to breathe in super deep 5 times. I made it to 1.5. Next thing I know I'm in recovery and some nurse wants me to open my eyes so she can put in drops. I'm thinking that might have worked better when I was still out. I wasn't feeling too good so they added some anti-nausea to my IV. I kinda wanted a painkiller but the only one they were going to do I was pretty sure I couldn't take. I told them to go ask Mike. He nixed it - remembering the times better than I when I took it and the results. Hey, the other times I took it I had been operated on - I can't remember stuff after that!! I vaguely remember getting discharged - Mike & the nurse wheeled me out to the curb. I did the "TRUST WALK" and kept my eyes closed. Should've brought sunglasses. The nurse goes "you've got to open your eyes sometime" and I replied "NO I DON'T!" I used Siri to text Mike when I needed him. She read me my messages but no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't get Siri to read status updates on facebook. Geez!
Saturday: I was able to squint a little bit. I spent all day in bed listening to Pandora with my eyes covered. A couple times I peeked thru very blurry vision to use the iPhone long enough to maintain contact with the outside world. I was downing Tylenol extra strength every 3 hrs and my eyes looked like fish gills. Y-U-C-K!!! But I had to put in ointment so I had to deal with it. Taryn said the ointment would feel wonderful. It kinda does and it kinda doesn't, but I faithfully administered it 3-4 times a day. Taryn also told me to get an eye mask - which I did - and I got a head wrap to keep my bangs out of my face too. It's a stellar look and I so wish I had a picture to show you but alas.... Taryn was SO RIGHT on the eye mask. It helps prevent you from touching your eyes as you sleep but it also just helps you rest so much better - the dark is a blessed relief but when the mask is on I noticed that my eyes just feel better - like they stop moving, no blinking, much more relaxed. At night I sleep with it on even though it's dark so I don't accidentally rub my eyes. Thank you Taryn!! I had dad mail you some treats in a package you should have received by now. Maybe a gift card is in order too. You let me know.
Sunday: HATED LIFE 100% I was uber-cranky! There was a very real danger that someone could have been hurt had they gotten close enough and I could see where to swing. I was in so much pain, my eyes felt like glass shards were in them. I hoped I could just sit in the living room and listen to football but no way. The only thing that saved us all from me was that I was able to open my eyes if I stayed in the dark. I could check facebook, read messages, email and play bejeweled if I anticipated the bright flashes and closed my eyes during that. I whined my misery on facebook and that made me feel slightly better. The distractions hurt but were worth it. I couldn't take any more Pandora - I just don't listen to music that much although I enjoy it - it's weird. So I tried to listen to 3 different audio book excerpts; utter fail. The narrators voice - ugh!! I guess I just don't like listening to a story at all. I gave up when the male guy with a probably fake British accent attempted a woman's voice. Sheesh. It almost made me laugh, but I was too frustrated!
Monday: Mike took today off too. Sometime around 9 I put on a hat and collected cat dishes from the back patio. That was exciting! I wore the hat all day so I could tip my head down to avoid light. The pain alternated from burning to a gritty feeling that something was in your eye. Very annoying. I put a warm washcloth over my eyes which felt good but I'm not supposed to get water in them so I had to be careful. I decided to try watching movies on my kindle. Success! Avengers was a lot of fun to watch and I just had to look away during bright fireballs. My boss from preschool stopped by in the afternoon with dinner from Honeybaked Ham. There was enough for 2+ days! I watched Hardball and started Message In A Bottle which I finished the next day. When Kevin Costner's character died it was so sad I cried a little bit, but wowza did that hurt!
Tuesday: Mike went back to work. You know that feeling of soap in your eyes? That was Tuesday. All. Day. Long. But more time awake, moving around the house, a few minutes outside when it was cloudy, able to sit at the real computer! and I watched more movies - Life As We Know It and Happy Accident. I almost shut down Happy Accident - it was sooo boring. But I powered through and that was pretty much the theme of the day. My VT came by for an hour. The light bothered me but I enjoyed the visit. Afterwards I had to put in ointment and lay down but it was worth it! We used a generous gift card from my preschool to Macaroni Grill for dinner. Indie went and picked it up and brought it home. Salmon & Orzo - it tasted sooo good! A big highlight!! Late night flick was Admission. I enjoyed it mostly because of how much work I put into college applications :)
Wednesday: Today my eyes felt horrible when I woke up and I was worried at first. I could barely open them. I had wondered the day before if I was overdoing it on the ointment. The box says 3-4 times, so I decided to stick with 3 for today. Once I soaked them for awhile they felt better and the whole day was a HUGE IMPROVEMENT. Except for occasional stinging and the feeling of dry eyes, it's been really good. Light doesn't really bother me much. I can't see comfortably at a distance but I can tell it's getting better. The double vision is improved - as in I don't think it's been a problem today. I was starting to worry that the whole surgery was a bust, but then Mike told me the dr said it would take a few days to balance out. Today I enjoyed two movies in a row!!!! And it didn't hurt! I watched Waking Ned Divine and Stand & Deliver. I think I have maybe one more movie in me and then I will be done for a good long while. I'm glad I found something that was mostly free to occupy my rehab time - two of the movies had a rental fee, the rest were free. Tonight another coworker dropped off dinner. She brought her youngest who was at our preschool a couple years ago so I got Indie's kitten Lillie and Aussie, and we played with her for awhile.
Tonight: I am so excited X Factor is on! I hope I can watch TV. Looking out and upwards is harder. I am glad that looking straight ahead and down a bit about as far as your arm stretches out has been pretty do-able.
Tomorrow: I have my post-op appointment. I am hoping the excursion goes well and that I get a good report on the success of the surgery.
1 comment:
Gift card? I think yes! Get better soon mom1
Post a Comment