Monday, August 5, 2013

A Father's Recommendation

I just thought I would share with you how proud I am of Gib for his accomplishment in becoming an Eagle Scout...

To whom it may concern,

Please accept this letter as a heartfelt recommendation that Michael Gib Coombs be awarded the Boy Scouts of America’s highest rank of Eagle Scout.

For the past seven years I have watched my son learn, exemplify, and grow in the Boy Scouts through Troop 137.  The opportunities to learn from older scouts and adult leaders were abundant in his younger years.  And as he grew, I was able to watch him become the youth leader that, in turn, shares his knowledge and experience with those younger than him.

Many times I have been approached by adults and troop leaders upon the return from some outing, activity, or even troop meetings where he has had some leadership responsibility and heard praise of his effectiveness.  Often these remarks centered on his ability to relate to the younger scouts, to provide assistance with the utmost kindness and patience in helping them to learn and do their best.

Outside of Boy Scouts, Gib’s character does not change.  He continues to represent the high standards of the Scout Oath and Law in is daily life.  In church, school, and family he is the face of optimism and always looks for the good in any situation.  Service is a natural part of Gib’s character.  He is not one to shy away from opportunities to serve, often participating in service opportunities through his church in addition to those provided by the troop.

I have always felt that my own experience as a Boy Scout in my youth was one of the great highlights of my life. However, that experience, while not diminished, has been surpassed by the opportunity to share this adventure with my son and watch him become the man he is now and know that the standards and values of an Eagle Scout are now an integral part of his life.

Sincerely,
Michael L. Coombs
Father

1 comment:

Chrissie said...

This core group of boys have grown up together in the troop. You should see the pictures from age 11 to 18! I was so touched that they all waited until their ceremony could be held as a group. They learned leadership, mentoring, serving others and the true meaning of brotherhood. I couldn't have asked for a better experience for my son!